Topic: Starter button malfunction

Wolfie    -- 01-14-2011 @ 8:09 PM
  Twice this week when I pushed the starter button there was nothing, but eventually I got it going. The replacement part is inexpensive and should be easy to replace. Is this a common problem and do you think I have another problem like poor contacts? Thanks!

ford38v8    -- 01-14-2011 @ 9:31 PM
  Wolfie, the starter button just makes ground for the solenoid. To do this, it must be solidly grounded to the dashboard, and the dash to the firewall. The button itself is probably not at fault.

Alan

51f1    -- 01-15-2011 @ 8:49 AM
  If you haven't found the problem yet, try this:

1. Make sure your battery and the battery cable connections are good.

2. The starter switch grounds the solenoid at the dashboard. Remove the starter switch and clean the ground connection. Reinstall the switch and try to crank the engine. If it cranks, it was the ground. If it doesn't crank, remove the wire from the switch and touch it to a good ground. The engine should crank. If it does, replace the switch. If it doesn't, it may be the solenoid or the starter. Reinstall the wire, and go to step 3.

3. Ground the solenoid at the starter switch connection (the small connection). The engine should crank. If it doesn't, the problem may be the starter, or the solenoid, assuming that you have eliminated the starter switch in step 2. If the solenoid clicked, it is probably the starter. Go to step 4.

4. To check the starter, jump across the battery and starter cable connections at the solenoid with a pair of pliers (use the uninsulated handles) or a heavy cable. (Don't let the spark frighten you.) If it doesn't crank, the starter may be bad. If the starter cranks, it is probably the solenoid.

5. If none of the above locates the problem, check the wire from the starter switch to the solenoid for continuity.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 1-15-11 @ 8:55 AM

Wolfie    -- 01-15-2011 @ 8:19 PM
  Thanks Alan & Richard for your valuable input. I hadn't thought of making sure there is a good ground, so I'll start there. If that isn't the problem I'll go through Richard's diagnostics.

Wolfie    -- 01-16-2011 @ 7:47 PM
  Today I removed the starter button. It looks like an original corroded chrome with the all important "start" noted, so that you know which button to pust to start the car! It is a well made switch and I could tell that corrosion made it lucky to work at all. I cleaned up the contact areas and expect it to work many more years.

Henryat1140    -- 01-20-2011 @ 3:29 PM
  More on grounding. This is a 'hot button' of mine. I grew up with the 6v electrical system - because that was what we had. Through experience I learned just how vital grounding is throughout the whole electrical system. IMO the 6v system is MORE than adequate for the use we need from our cars. After 12v came in, people sort of 'forgot' about the importance of good grounds.

I strongly believe many inadequacies and faults are blamed on the 6v system when in reality the problem lies in deteriorated grounds. Whenever you have a 6v electrical problem the FIRST place to troubleshoot is the ground for that part. Every electrical part depends on a ground or electrical return path; anything that interferes with this - dirt, rust corrosion, crud, loose mounting - any of these will cripple a circuit. Take the time to make the connections clean and shiny metal to metal.

I recommend going over all the grounds, beginning with the all-important battery to frame ground. This grounding point absolutely must be clean and shiny metal to metal contact. Adding a star washer doesn't hurt either.

Another 'gotcha' is the negative battery cable. It must be appropriately sized for 6 volts. Some cables look OK, but are only designed for 12v. Be sure to use a 6v cable.

Keep the grounds clean and in good shape and you'll find 6v is just fine.

Excuse the 'preachy' tone, the old timers know all about this, but some newer Early V8 owners may not be fully aware of how critical grounding is in a 6v system.

Regards

Henry H.

Wolfie    -- 01-20-2011 @ 9:45 PM
  The starter button seems to have a weak ground, however. It has spring clips that ground it to the dash. It lacks a bolt that gives a better ground.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2447