Topic: Front Driveshaft Bearing

1947lurch    -- 01-14-2011 @ 8:00 PM
  I replaced the center driveshaft bearing on my 47 Ford Super Deluxe with one made by Skip Haney.I also replaced the front grease seal and front bearing sleeve.I am having a real hard time getting the front driveshaft bearing in place.Without the driveshaft in place, the bearing fits fine, with the driveshaft in place I have ruined two bearings trying to get them in.I know for sure that I have the correct bearing.Any installation tips on what I thought would be a simple job.

supereal    -- 01-15-2011 @ 9:39 AM
  Does the bearing fit over the driveshaft, as well as fit into the sleeve? If not, the bearing is at fault. The same seal, sleeve, and bearing was used in all Fords, '28 thru '48, so it is hard to believe someone sold you the wrong parts. However, if they are foreign made, all bets are off. The parts assemble as follows: 1. the seal. 2. The sleeve. 3. The bearing. 4. The thrust washer. 5. The speedometer drive gear, with the collar facing toward the rear. 6. the speedo gear snap ring. If the bearing fits the sleeve without the shaft, then fits over the shaft, itself, outside of the sleeve, it is likely that the bearing rollers are oversize, and there is enough movement in the bearing cage to allow the bearing to fit, until it is tried with both shaft and sleeve in place. You are right, in that it should be a simple job, with the bearing slipping in without a problem. The bearing doesn't require driving into place.

40 Coupe    -- 01-15-2011 @ 1:49 PM
  I had the same problem and solved it by first installing the bearing and then slipping the drive shaft into place. This took two people but everything went together smooth as silk.

1947lurch    -- 01-15-2011 @ 8:38 PM
  Question for Superseal. In my manuals, the drawings show the speedometer drive gear with the collar facing the front?? Thanks for your input.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2446