Topic: 1934 ford throw out bearing grease cup

Bob S    -- 01-13-2011 @ 7:09 PM
  I went to add grease in the grease cup mounted on clutch housing and it came off in my hand. Is there an inspection plate of some sort on top of transmission casing? My two piece floorboard is blocking my complete view.
Evidently there is supposed to be a tube that connects on the inside of the housing from the external grease cup to the bearing. I have got to get that hooked up.
I don't want to have to pull the engine.
Help!

40 Coupe    -- 01-14-2011 @ 6:25 AM
  the grease cup is attached to an inspection cover that is held to the transmission by two screws. If the throwout bearing has been replaced sometime in the past it most likely was replaced by one that is permanently lubricated. If so it will not have the hole for the small tube to attach. You will have to remove the toe board and the inspection cover and look for a hole, if none your all set.

Bob S    -- 01-14-2011 @ 8:23 AM
  Thank you!
Having difficulty getting the floorboard out from around floor mounted starter pedal. Hole in floorboard is size of starter rod.
If new bearing is in there the grease cup is purely for show? Would the tube still be there? I started it after the grease cup came loose and pressed in the clutch and it sounded like a steel ball in a roulette wheel.
I will get to inspection plate somehow and check it out. Any more thoughts would help. Thanks again.

Model B    -- 01-14-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  You can remove the starter rod by unscr*w*ng it. There should be a coupler between the floorboard the the starter switch. Might have to loosen a lock nut. As far as the noise is concerned...you have some loose parts in there. Could be the nut that holds the cup or the hose rubbing against the pressure plate. Good luck. Pat

Bob S    -- 01-14-2011 @ 8:46 AM
  The only threads on the rod that are visible are down by the starter switch. Very rusted, have been working on that.
Thanks for you help. Actually looking forward to "fishing" in clutch housing for tube or ?

Bob S    -- 01-15-2011 @ 7:27 AM
  Thank you guys again! Opened up inspection cover, re-connected tube to grease cup and started it up and no more problems.
Thanks!

supereal    -- 01-15-2011 @ 9:20 AM
  As said above, most release bearings that required greasing have long since been replaced with the sealed type. The original design had two faults: either they were neglected and soon failed, or the owner was overzealous, and pumped enough grease in to contaminate the clutch facings. The sealed bearings are the same from '28 thru '48. If you do have one of the originals, consider replacement.

Stroker    -- 01-18-2011 @ 6:45 PM
  If you elect to replace the throw out bearing in the future, you can retain the external grease
fitting feature by using a Ford 8N tractor throw out bearing.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2439