Topic: FITTING SPRING SHACKLE KITS

NASHBAKER    -- 01-11-2011 @ 5:06 PM
  I AM TRYING TO FIT FRONT AND REAR SPRING SHACKLE KITS TO MY '37 FORD. THE STEEL BUSHINGS ARE PRESS FITTED INTO THE SPRING EYES AND WISHBONES ETC, BUT AT WHAT ANGLE ARE THEY PRESSED IN SO THE SQUARE HOLE SHAKLE BARS ALIGN AS THE SUSPENSIONS ARE PRESENTLY OUT OF THE VEHICLE.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED OR A WEB SITE TO VIEW INSTALLATION PROCEDURE.
THANKS, IAN.

40guy    -- 01-11-2011 @ 5:28 PM
  After they are pressed in you can use an adjustable wrench to turn to the closest square for hook up.

alanwoodieman    -- 01-12-2011 @ 6:16 AM
  the inner part of the shackle is movable, otherwise the springs would not be able to flex. Some advise as to installing these pins, make sure the eye of the spring is clean, no burrs, no rust, I actually run a cylinder hone thru them to polish them, I use a big c clamp and a couple of sockets to press into these eyes. One big enough to cover the shoulder of the pin, one big enough to cover the outer part of the eye that will also allow the shackle pin to come out the other side

supereal    -- 01-12-2011 @ 11:41 AM
  We prefer the Teflon shackles. They come in a complete kit. For '37, order 48-5304-T from C&G. They are somewhat more expensive than the old style, but improve the ride, and eliminate squeaking. To remove the old pins, you will have to drive them out, then cut out the remains. Some use a hacksaw blade threaded thru the hole. We use a a tool called a "muffler cutter", which is a chisel with a sharp cupped end.

flatheadfan    -- 01-13-2011 @ 2:42 AM
  I agree using teflon shackles is the way to go. In fact Ford in their service pack abandoned the steel pins in favor of rubber sleeves which makes things a lot more simple to install.

Often times in the driving out of the pins you leave the sh*ll behind. The best way I have found to remove the sh*ll was to use an adjustable reamer. It takes a little more time but the result is a super-smooth hole.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2424