Topic: 1934 Ford horns

NATESBPD    -- 01-10-2011 @ 7:24 AM
  I replaced the wiring harness as well as the horn rod and horns after a restoration on my 1934 Ford 4dr deluxe. When I hook up the 6v horns they constantly blow (positive ground). The horn button is not stuck any ideas or fixes?

TomO    -- 01-10-2011 @ 7:40 AM
  Your horn button supplies ground to the horns, so your problem is that the BL/Y wire is grounded somewhere before it reaches the horns.

Disconnect the wire from the horns and use an ohm meter to check continuity to ground. Check a each connection until you get an open, that will be your failing point.

Your horn rod may be too long or shorting out the horn button.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-10-2011 @ 9:01 AM
  It is more than likely that the wire that runs down inside the shaft from the steering wheel to the switch has developed a short to ground. That wire twists as the steering wheel is turned, and over time the insulation gives way. You have to remove the horn button to get at it, and disconnect the wire at the base of the column. You will have to release the bail on the switch body to do that, so look at the contact disk and brush to see if there is anything out of place. When we replace the horn wire, we attach a bit of plastic fish line to it to serve as a "pull wire" to get the new wire threaded, instead of trying to push the wire in. That trick works on all years.

Tom/SC    -- 01-10-2011 @ 10:58 AM
  Nate, you have said that you replaced the horns on your 34. If you replaced them with "new" ones from Drake, as I did with my 34, then the "new" horns are wired incorrectly, at least mine were. Mine blew as soon as I reconnected the battery cables. I had to re-wire both of the horns. I did contact Drake, to no avail. I had bought the horns 6 months ahead of time along with other parts, I was told that that was too long after purchase date for them to help me.

NATESBPD    -- 01-10-2011 @ 2:01 PM
  Thanks for all the response.. I had a place to start... with a tester i checked the horn rod and was getting power but no power to tip of horn rod when button was pushed. So it must not be making contact in button.. i took button apart and it was painted on the horn rod contact,, i grinded the paint away, put it back together and horns work! Thanks again for the help.
Nate

Tom/SC    -- 01-10-2011 @ 2:46 PM
  Nate that is a great looking 34 Ford! Tom

TomO    -- 01-11-2011 @ 8:02 AM
  Nate, you are confusing me. The fix (removing paint from bottom of horn button) would solve a problem of the horn NOT blowing.

In order for the horns to blow constantly, the horn button or the wire leading from the horn button would have to be grounded.

I like your 34. Black has always been my favorite color for a 34.

Tom

Steve34FORD    -- 01-17-2011 @ 2:21 PM
  When you push the horn button it grounds the horn. in our case the base of the horn button had been painted over and the brass cover was not making contact. After removing the pain we put the horn button back together and when we pushed the horn button it grounded and the horns worked like they should. Any way thanks for every ones help. Nats Dad

danbook    -- 01-20-2011 @ 12:54 AM
  see the wiring of your horn button try to open the cover of the steering wheel and check if they are properly connected or take a look at the things that are wrap around it..maybe something stuck inside...or if ever the problem still there you need to take it to your horn button dealer to check the problem dude

regards
--------------------
Dan Booker

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2419