Topic: 39 taillight pigtail replacement

parrish    -- 01-09-2011 @ 4:19 PM
  I have a new pigtail, but getting the old one out of the tailight bucket is no snap. Do I need to drill out the 2 rivets holding the bezel that supports the bulb housing cylinder? I've tried applying pressure fore and aft, but no go...

shogun1940    -- 01-09-2011 @ 7:04 PM
  i think you can pull the wire out and bring the fiber washer out and the spring to replace that part, i am sure one these members will know for sure

ford38v8    -- 01-09-2011 @ 8:30 PM
  Parrish, If you haven't destroyed the old pigtails yet, use them. The new sockets have only one spring to exert pressure on both leads. The original socket had a separate spring for each, which ensures better contact.

Alan

TomO    -- 01-10-2011 @ 7:55 AM
  I would not drill out the rivets holding the socket to the housing. The wires and phenolic should come out of the bulb socket together. Save the springs and the phenolic for use with your new pigtails. You may have to use a small pick to clean the inside of the socket to allow the phenolic to come out.

When you have the wires out, mask the socket and paint the inside of the housing with Eastwood's Almost Chrome to increase the reflective light coming out of your housing or find a flash light reflector that comes close to fitting into your housing behind the bulb and modify it to fit your housing. Doing this doubled the light out put from my tail and brake lights.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-10-2011 @ 8:50 AM
  If the pigtails need to be replaced, it is likely the sockets should also be changed. Any rust or corrosion not only inteferes with the elctrical ground, but prevents firm contact with the bulb terminals when the plastic disk hangs up in the socket. Putting a light coat of electrical grease in the socket will extend the life and allow the springs to do their job.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2418