Topic: 47 heater switch

pcasner    -- 01-09-2011 @ 10:08 AM
  My 47 Ford heater switch has 4 connection tangs. None of them were connected as I started my restoration. The motor was no good so I have replaced it with a motor that only has 2 wires (the original had 4). The switch has settings for INDIRECT and DIRECT with an "F" and "S" for each. Can anyone give me some information about this switch and what those 4 connections are? Can I use this switch with my new motor that only has 2 wires? What are the "indirect" and "direct" settings?
Thanks for any help. Paul

supereal    -- 01-09-2011 @ 10:33 AM
  As your motor has two wires, it is likely a permanent magnet type. Try running the motor from a battery to see which way it turns, then reverse the connections to see if it runs the other direction. This would indicate that the ground and "hot" leads can be reversed to control direction. As you noted, the original motor had four wires. The control shifted polarity to the field of that motor to reverse it, and resistors provided low speeds. "Direct" meant the air was blown out the front of the heater, "indirect" forced the air out of the rear of the heater. It is unlikely that the original control can be used unless you just want to turn the motor on and off, unless a hookup that allows "flipping" the polarity can be determined. Most of us who have the original setup only use the direct and high speeds, anyway, as the heaters are not really efficient, except for providing heated air to the defoster portion. I can't find my original wiring diagram, but someone else may have it.

TomO    -- 01-09-2011 @ 10:58 AM
  The 4 terminals on the switch are used to reverse the direction of the motor. Your motor with 2 wires cannot be hooked up to reverse the direction. I have attached the wiring diagram for your switch.

I have a 41-48 hot air heater switch that just has the 2 teminals and can be used with your motor. If you want to purchase it, send me a private message.

Tom

pcasner    -- 01-09-2011 @ 11:06 AM
  Thanks for that information. The motor does reverse when I switch the leads but as you indicated I don't think the indirect setting would be useful. I probably won't need to use it much since I live in El Paso, Texas. Thanks again for your help . Paul

Old Henry    -- 01-09-2011 @ 4:41 PM
  I used the same switch you have, which is made for a two speed two direction inside heater, on my two speed one direction fresh air heater on by 47 for 45 years until I found the right one for two speed one direction. On your two wire motor, one wire is the hot wire and the other is the ground. Just hook it up with the right one grounded that makes the fan turn the rigtht direction then hook the other one up to one side of the switch for on direction only. Ignore the other side of the switch for the other direction.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2415