Topic: Cruising power

johnmyron    -- 01-05-2011 @ 9:43 PM
  In process of total restoration of 53 sunliner, with Fordomatic. Want to get best cruising performance and reliability out of it without excessive engine mods. Any opinions on stroker kits, 4 barrel carbs, edelbrock heads, etc? I lean toward original appearances, but would like a little more highway power. Any thoughts from all you mossbacks out there?
Cheers,
John Wells

TomO    -- 01-06-2011 @ 8:14 AM
  Any modifications from stock may affect reliability and driveablity. The 53 engine does very well at most normal highway speeds. You should be able to cruise at 60 mph.

A 4 barrel carburetor does not look stock on a flathead, but it will give better performance than 2 two barrel carburetors. The stock 53 carburetor provides enough air and gas for any stock engine. You would need a large bore and longer stroke to take full advantage of a carburetor change.

A 4 inch crank will give you a little more horse power and torque. They are becoming difficult to find and expensive.

A mild cam can increase the throttle response, but it will affect the idle.

Edlebrock heads look good, but with a stock bore and stroke, will not add much in the way of preformance.

Tom

OldIron    -- 01-06-2011 @ 8:36 AM
  I have a 50 Ford that I modified to make it a little more suitable for distance touring. It has a Merc 4" crank and is bored .040 oversize. Everything else is stock. It has power for the hills of western Washington but looks completely stock. I also think, being that yours is an automatic, that it would work best with the stock cam. . . Chuck

Stroker    -- 01-06-2011 @ 10:32 AM
  If you do decide to install either a 4-bbl or dual,2-bbl manifold, figure on replacing the stock vacuum operated ignition with an aftermarket unit that has a centrifugal advance. "Mossbacks"!
Indeed!

supereal    -- 01-06-2011 @ 10:44 AM
  John: The life of the Ford-O-Matic transmission is considerably shortened by the application of extreme power. The clutches and bands were designed for passenger car application, and we used to see problems with overstress when they were added to pickups. The torque converter is air cooled, and overheating is the enemy of all automatics. When new, it was recommended that the fluid be checked every 1,000 miles to check for evidence of stress. Rear end ratio is important, and the stock gearing is a compromise between low and hiway use.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2402