Topic: 1940 Ford Door Glass

slideone    -- 01-05-2011 @ 10:15 AM
  I have replaced the drivers door glass and all new channels, felts, etc. While the window rolls up fine, it keeps coming off the rollers. I have freed up the channels, but it still does not roll down correctly, any ideas. It mistifies me that the glass is not fastened to the crank assembly in anyway?

supereal    -- 01-05-2011 @ 12:44 PM
  Is the glass coming out of the channel, or are the rollers coming with the glass firmly attached to the channel? The glass is held to the channel by packing, sometimes called "glass setting tape". It comes in at least four thicknesses, ranging from 1/32, 3/64,1/16, to 5/64. Some replacement glass is slightly different than the original, and the setting tape must be absolutely correct, or the glass will not stay in the channel, or will allow the channel to move enough to let the rollers disengage.

slideone    -- 01-05-2011 @ 1:07 PM
  The glass is firmly attached to the channel, the glass is just coming off the rollers. Are the rollers suppose to attach to the channels, if so mine are not attaching!

supereal    -- 01-05-2011 @ 2:17 PM
  If the rollers are coming out of the channel, it is likely that the stop that prevents the window from being cranked down too far is in need of adjustment, or is missing. Some regulator arms have "hairpins" that prevent the rollers from leaving the channel. You need to watch the regulator as the window is lowered to see what is happening. My body parts book doesn't go back past '44, but there are lots of '40 members who have the info you need. Sorry I can't be more specific.

40guy    -- 01-05-2011 @ 3:30 PM
  Check to see if the rollers are seated into the channel. There is an opening in the channel the rollers go into then slide back to ensure rollers stay in the channel. the roller assy. is actually spring loaded for this purpose. Also, very worn channels and/or roller assys. can cause this problem

slideone    -- 01-06-2011 @ 6:09 AM
  Thanks for your reply, I will have time tonight to take a look at this issue. I knew the rollers needed to be attached to the bottom channel,however, I was just looking at a picture I took of this exact spot before I disassembled this and am still not sure how it actually attaches to channel, hopefully looking at it more closely tonight some light will be shed on this issue. Thanks again for your insight.

TomO    -- 01-06-2011 @ 8:02 AM
  The rollers are spring loaded and must be guided into the channel from the ends with the front bar assembly removed. Then the front bar assembly is installed and adjusted to keep the glass straight during the run up or down.

Tom

slideone    -- 01-06-2011 @ 11:59 AM
  Thanks Tom, I will see what I can get done tonight.

slideone    -- 01-11-2011 @ 12:53 PM
  Tom, can't thank you enough, you were right on. Once you said it had to be slid on, I knew something was amiss. Apparently it had not been seated in the rollers since the last time someone installed the last door glass, which was about four yeas ago. I have a picture of what it looked like when I opened it up and it definetly was not locked to the rollers. The door guides and weather strip were so worn out just the weight of the glass was letting it roll down. Easy fix once you told me what it needed. Thanks again, hope you have a great 2011.

TomO    -- 01-12-2011 @ 7:16 PM
  You are welcome, I hope you have lots of fun driving and showing your Ford.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2399