Topic: '38 brake cable adjustment w/ floaters

Tim I    -- 01-04-2011 @ 1:51 PM
  I am finally finishing up the brake job on my '38 coupe. Having installed floaters, I'm now trying to get the cable adjustments right. I think the manual says to expand the shoes against the drums using the adjusters on the backing plates, and then pull the cables tight and install. That made sense to me, as I assumed that the cables would have the most slack with the shoes expanded, and then would tend to tighten up when the backing plate adjuster is backed off to allow running clearance. However, I'm finding the opposite is true. I guess the idea is to attach the cables with the adjusters on the backing plate backed off with plenty of clearance and then expand the shoes to tighten up the cables until the handbrake will lock the wheels when pulled out, but still allow sufficient running clearance when released. Other than trial and error, is there a good rule of thumb to get it close?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tim I.

Tim I    -- 01-06-2011 @ 8:04 AM
  Well, I guess I answered my own question. Last night I got it to where there seems to be equal and adequate drag on the brakes with the handbrake engaged, good running clearance when disengaged, and plenty of pedal. Tomorrow, if the roads are dry, I'll take it out for a test drive. If it stops in a straight line and the drums don't heat up, I guess I'll be done!

ford38v8    -- 01-06-2011 @ 4:20 PM
  Tim, Glad you got the floaters. You'll be pleased with their performance. Sounds like you have gotten off on the right foot for adjustment, all wheels off the ground, one click at a time on the hand brake to check adjustments. Now the next step will be to back off the rear shoes till you don't skid rear tires before the fronts, as the system doesn't provide for less pressure on the rear as do hydraulic brakes.

Alan

Tim I    -- 01-07-2011 @ 8:57 AM
  I hadn't considered that. Will do!

Thanks Alan!

Tim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2392