Topic: 36 cabriolet vin

bgalla    -- 01-03-2011 @ 10:48 AM
  I'm in the process of restoring a 36 cab. I have the body off the chassis and I can find no vin stamped anywhere. I've checked the side rails 100 times and every where else, and nothing. The engine is not original so the bell housing number is of no help and in Calif. we need a chassis number. Any suggestions? Thanks Bruce

MOXIE    -- 01-03-2011 @ 11:16 AM
  I’m sure you have this information already but every 34,35 and 36 chassis I’ve seen, there has always been a vin number stamped on top of the left rail right by the steering column and 2 other places further down on the rail. It starts with a star than 18-XXXXXX. If you use a wire brush or sand blast and see no number then it is either gone by way of rust or someone grind it off. It’s there if it’s an original chassis.

42wagon    -- 01-03-2011 @ 1:11 PM
  Bruce
Be very careful what you use to clean the top of the left frame rail. Aggressive wire brushing may obliterate the numbers. Use a light held at a low level and maybe a magnifying glass. If the frame isn't too rusted you should find at least one of the three number locations.
Ted

drkbp    -- 01-03-2011 @ 7:39 PM
  bgalla,

They are correct in that it should be on the top of the left frame rail. Look right behind where the extra firewall cowl support is on the cabriolets and roadsters. It was in the seventies since I saw mine but it seems like the body was sitting over it. That extra cowl support bolts to the frame and has a piece of webbing along the rail that keeps me from seeing where I think the number is.

I just looked and it may well be under where the body sits. It is the same number that is on my transmission housing. If your transmission is changed, that number is gone with it. Like Moxie says, they are stamped rather light sometimes but a couple of places down the left side. I don't know why multiple times.

If you had a '36 transmission OR a good title, I would use that number and stamp the frame near where the steering column hooks to the frame if it has no other markings. At least you can see it when you raise the hood. Just my two cents worth.

Ken in Texas

MOXIE    -- 01-03-2011 @ 8:14 PM
  You mention that CA wants a chassis number. Here in my state it depends on which officer inspects the car. My car has a very visible number on the frame that matches the title. The officer was upset because the title did not match the number that was on the body. I had to get my restoration book out to show him that that was only a body number and not a vin number.

trjford8    -- 01-04-2011 @ 5:00 PM
  California does want a chassis number. In my former occupation I used to verify those numbers for V-8ers and other Fordophiles. Check the top of left frame rail from the cowl to the front crossmember.These numbers were stamped as the car moved down the assembley line. Usually they are near the steering box mount, but not always.

larryb346    -- 01-04-2011 @ 5:49 PM
  I would advise against your stamping anything on your frame.
If you do it is illegal in all states and could result in your car being seized for having a altered serial number.
Just my two cents worth.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2384