Topic: 1935 running board trim

MOXIE    -- 01-02-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  Why would the cost of 1935 car running board trim be $175.00 at C&G and $99.00 at MAC's. Would the trim at C&G be that much better quality. Anyone buy their trim before.

Don Rogers    -- 01-02-2011 @ 9:59 PM
  The correct RB trim strip has a slight curve in it to match the sag in the running boards. Cheaper ones generally have a straight edge. Ask each vender what he is selling.

Don Rogers

35gal    -- 01-03-2011 @ 9:06 AM
  Sometimes I wonder where you guys get your information from. NO BODY makes running board trim for a 35/36 with a curve. They are all straight because the running boards are straight. If you say I'm wrong than name one vendor who makes them with a curve.

supereal    -- 01-03-2011 @ 9:30 AM
  The difference between cheap trim and the more expensive variety lies in the quality and thickness of the material. Years ago, I bought a set of running board trim from the only vendor I could find that had them in stock, in Oklahoma City. They shipped me a pair for one side, and when I told them, they said "they are all the same", which is not true. When they finally shipped the right pieces, I found that they were so thin that they wouldn't stay snapped to the running boards. Needless to say, they were not stainless steel, anyway, and back they went. "Real" trim is solid stainless, and doesn't bend or flatten when fastened in place. Quality in trim is essential, both for appearance and durability. Don is giving you good information.

35ragtop    -- 01-03-2011 @ 1:42 PM
  Moxie I found that Macs have running board trim for $98 PER SIDE not pair. I have bought mine from The Early Ford Store in CA at $175 per pair.

35gal    -- 01-03-2011 @ 2:35 PM
  I agree that you get what you buy. But again, it's easy to make a comment on this board without really knowing what you are talking about. And I still say, nobody makes 35/36 trim with a curve to match a sagging board. They are all straight. Maybe the quality of stainless steel is better from vendor to ventor but the shape is the same, straight. No one is going to make special tooling to make a pair of curved trim pieces. If they did, how would they know how much curve to put in them. All boards do not sag the same. All I asked is, tell me a vendor that makes them with a curve. You can't. There are no left and right to these pieces. They are the same.

Don Rogers    -- 01-03-2011 @ 3:40 PM
  35 Gal, You may be correct that no one reproduces a curved RB trim strip today. I have not purchased a repro strip and have only used NOS Ford made strips in the past. Original strips however are curved and were made to follow the curve in original 35/36 running boards. I have owned several sets of NOS strips in the past and have a set on my 1935 Convertible sedan today. They all have about a 1/8" sag to follow the sag in a genuine Ford 35/36 running board.

Don Rogers
Author 1935/36 Ford Book

35ragtop    -- 01-03-2011 @ 8:26 PM
  Correction Guys my mistake. Macs are advertising them per PAIR, its been a while since I looked must have been mistaken. Anyway the Early Ford ones have got to be better quality.

TomO    -- 01-04-2011 @ 7:35 AM
  35Gal, Don Rogers is the V-8 Club's 35 Adviser. He researches his restorations and does know the cars very well. So to say that he posts information without knowing what he is talking about is completely wrong.

Tom

35gal    -- 01-04-2011 @ 8:23 AM
  OK, I stand corrected. It just does not make sense why Ford would design a board to have a sag in the middle. It adds nothing to the looks of a board and I would think it would have been harder to produce a board with a curve than to make them straight. I wonder if Drake’s 35/36 boards are curved or straight.

Don Rogers    -- 01-04-2011 @ 10:34 AM
  35 Gal, This is just a guess, but they could have been curved to minimize water from collecting at each end where they attach to the front and rear fenders. The sag would encourage water to roll away from the ends and into the middle....Just a guess.

35gal    -- 01-04-2011 @ 11:08 AM
  Sounds like a very good guess.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2381