Topic: Engine failing over time? Coil or resistor?

36 conv sedan    -- 01-02-2011 @ 12:51 PM
  Hi all:

Best wishes for the new year! and to start up with some automotive work on my side, here is a question:

I start my '36 up and and fires up well and quickly. I can start using it with no problems noticeable for a while, but after some time, lets say 10 minutes or so, I start feeling that under hard acceleration the car feels like 'braked' on the engine, and it doesn't rev up so well any longer, particularly under load. The problem agravates as time passes. After 30 or 40 minutes of driving, it barely accelerates... you can move, but with no sense of power in the engine. After I stop and let it cool, it will start good again. So... what is it going on?

Could it be a coil problem? I have also heard this cars have a resistor under the dashboard. I have touched it and it gets real hot. Could any of these two things be the problem?

Thanks,
Victor

supereal    -- 01-02-2011 @ 1:15 PM
  The resistor is always nearly red hot. I'd suspect your coil if it is an original or not rebuilt. 99% of old Ford coils fail when hot.

Pauls39    -- 01-02-2011 @ 6:50 PM
  Try changing the condenser first. They are also heat sensitive but cheaper than a coil. If that doesn't work then the coil is your best bet.

ford38v8    -- 01-02-2011 @ 7:04 PM
  Victor, the previous postings are correct. The mark of a true V8er is the scar on the tip of the right forefinger from the resistor. You've been initiated properly.

Alan

36 conv sedan    -- 01-02-2011 @ 7:57 PM
  I have to say I laughed at Alan's comment when I read about my "initiation".

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will check on condensor first and then try another coil which I will have to get... ouch!

Victor

35ford    -- 01-03-2011 @ 7:48 AM
  I think this might be a good time to send your coil to Skip and have it rebuilt. They tend to fail and this would eliminate that part anyway. JMHO

TomO    -- 01-03-2011 @ 9:31 AM
  While I agree that the most likely cause of your problem is the coil or condenser, I would check the voltage to the coil and the spark before changing them.

Your voltage to the coil should be at least 3.5 with the points closed and the engine at operating temperature. Low voltage could be caused by the ignition switch or poor connections in the wiring.

Your spark should be at least 1/2" long, blue in color and make a snapping sound when a plug wire is held close to a head nut and the engine is idling at operating temperatures.

You can use a fuse puller to remove the plug wire and hold it so that you don't stop your heart.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2380