Topic: restoring carb

fordmerc    -- 12-26-2010 @ 1:01 PM
  I want to restore a Ford carb. I soaked body for 2 hours in "Purple Power" and it looks clean except mineral deposits all over. In a hidden place I abraded them away with a wire brush; this does not look good. What is the best way to clean this stuff off the surface and sown into the passages without bead blasting, wire brushing or steel wool , all of which alter the surface appearance and maybe contour of valve channels?

supereal    -- 12-26-2010 @ 2:04 PM
  We commonly used an acid bath to clean the body of the carb, usually carbolic acid. Depending upon the deposits in the carb, you can use one of the products to remove lime deposits from showers. If it is a really tough job, locate one of the products sold to clean the bottom of boats. Soak only until the deposits are dissolved enough to flush out with hot water. Don't bead blast or wire brush, etc, as this will abrade the gasket surfaces, likely causing a leak, because gas has a low surface tension.

Stroker    -- 12-26-2010 @ 3:16 PM
  fordmerc:

Super has just added to my list of "stuff to use". In the past, I have always used Gunk Hydroseal with good results, but I'm going to try Supers stuff on my 1-year only 38 Chandler-Groves if the Hydroseal doesn't quite cut it. One thing that helps; but is a rather expensive device, is my ultra-sonic cleaner. This has a stainless steel cavity that you can lower a basket in with the small parts, and literally "scrubs" the parts by by creating microscopic air bubbles in the cleaning fluid, through cavitation. I've used this to great advantage cleaning Hilborn fuel injection nozzles my wife's engagement ring, and the like. I totally agree that mechanical wire brushing, or any physical abrasion should be avoided, as the "pot metal" (zinc alloy) components are very soft, and easily damaged.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2350