Topic: 1948 tudor horns

bo8109b    -- 12-24-2010 @ 7:37 PM
  Have a pair of trumpet horns mounted inside the left fender. Car was built middle of 1948. Is it possible those horns were factory installed? Thought they were installing sh*ll style horns in front of the radiator by then.

trjford8    -- 12-25-2010 @ 7:53 AM
  In 48 Ford was using up whatever was left on the shelf to get the cars out and sold. You probably have an early 48 or possibly a 47 that was registered as a 48. If you notice Ford used 46 trim on the early 47's, so these years(46-48) of cars have a lot of early and late parts put on them.

supereal    -- 12-25-2010 @ 9:28 AM
  Order a copy of the Club book for '41-'48. It outlines most of the "running changes" and other odd combinations of trim and equipment. As Tom notes, the demand for cars in the immediate post war period was so great, there wasn't a whole lot of emphasis on what was "correct". Anyone with a 41-48 Ford must have the book.
It is full of info, diagrams, etc.

1942deluxe    -- 12-26-2010 @ 7:41 AM
  I owned a 1948 Tudor with what appeared to be factory "trumpet" horns in the mid 90's.It had
all the features a "normal" 1948 would have such
as non locking steering column,ect.The car I had
before that was a "bullnose" 1947 Tudor that did
not have a hood ornament.Have not seen another one
before or since.Our cars were MASS produced and
they were not going to stop that assembly line if
they could help it!

trjford8    -- 12-26-2010 @ 8:13 AM
  42deluxe, I have seen a couple of hoods without the ornament. Both were 6 cylinder cars. Not sure if that hood was limited to the sixes or not.

1942deluxe    -- 12-26-2010 @ 10:09 AM
  This one was a Super Deluxe V8.I have a friend with one of the "early" 1947's that his grandparents bought
new.Has the 1946 trim.He always thought the title was in error calling it a 1947.When I showed him Bob McCoppin's article in The V8 Album the mystery was solved.My 1947 had the original green paint(Glade green?) and was an unrestored original car.My friend bought his grandparents car in 1959 and worked at a Ford dealership so that probably indicates how fast that type of information was lost.I manage a small Ford dealership and we won't even attempt to look up a part without the VIN #.So even then they were torturing parts men and it didn't hurt to walk out and look at the car!

supereal    -- 12-26-2010 @ 1:56 PM
  Over 50 years ago when I was a mechanic at a Ford dealer, the parts men all were also mechanics at one time and knew exactly what we needed for a particular job. There were three in that department, and I always marveled at the depth of their knowledge. Granted that things were somewhat simpler then, but today's "parts men" hardly merit the title. A few weeks ago a local dealer sent a pair of exhaust manifolds to our shop to be resurfaced. We received a call complaining that we had taken too much off, and now they wouldn't fit! Upon going to the dealer to see what they were talking about, we found that the "mechanic" was trying to put them on the wrong sides! Lack of training and experience is killing the trade.

1942deluxe    -- 12-26-2010 @ 3:29 PM
  I agree.Always thought a good parts guy didn't have to look in alot of instances as he knew his inventory well enough he knew if he had it!I have the books (text)going back to 1928 here.I'm amazed how much knowledge has been lost even on the 70's stuff.Probably a good way to train a new guy today would be to make him take a complete physical inventory and if he has any propensity to remember base numbers,ect. it will show.On the technican deal..
they don't understand the theory of how something works.What's the saying "diagnose,don't guess!".In other words did the part fail by itself or did something else cause it to fail?I think the guys in the small dealerships are like the small farmers.When they die off or retire that way of life is gone and in my opinion that's a loss.

supereal    -- 12-27-2010 @ 9:04 AM
  That's right on. We are seeing a move toward "proprietary" information by the manufacturers, wherein the information we independent garages need is "classified". Toyota started it when the Prius cam out. They said that servicing those was dangerous because of the high voltage present. Now, others are doing the same. Dealers are trying to corner the service end of their business, and customers will pay dearly. The time is coming where the hoods will be sealed so only dealers can open them to plug in a master computer to diagnose the problem. It will then prescribe the fix, and select the parts from stock. That way, dealers will not have to train mechanics or parts people, I suppose.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-27-2010 @ 3:03 PM
  Ah yes the new parts replacers-just keep changing out the parts until problem fixed-then give the bill to the customer-they (the customer) won't know the difference and the dealership makes more money

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2345