Topic: Weak Battery?

Steves46    -- 12-23-2010 @ 6:48 PM
  This is a bit odd but ealier today, I took the 46 out for a ride and she performed beautifully however when we took it out tonight to look at Christmas lights, the car was missing quite a bit-I had to keep her reved-up to keep it running. My Optima is a little over 6 yrs old and although I will have it tested, I suspect it has seem its better days. Could a weak battery (with the headlights on)cause poor performance or is there another demon going-on? Like I mentioned, it ran great in the day light. Pretty odd. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all. Steve

Old Henry    -- 12-23-2010 @ 9:17 PM
  In April we drove the Route 66 stretch in Arizona. On that trip the generator went out and we drove 250 miles home - 5 hours - without it. By the time we got home the battery was pretty darn dead but its death never affected the operation of the engine. As long as it had enough life to power the coil,(which, apparently, don't take much) the engine worked fine. So, you most likely have something totally independent of the low voltage situation that is causing missing. I don't think that alone would be it.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

ford38v8    -- 12-23-2010 @ 9:17 PM
  Steve, you answered your own question. an ignition system requires very little juice, but the draw of headlights on a weak system is enough to stall the engine. six years on any battery is failure knocking soon, so heed the warning sign.

Alan

Steves46    -- 12-24-2010 @ 4:21 AM
  Thanks Alan. That's what I'm thinking; maybe Santa will put an Optima under the tree tonight.

TomO    -- 12-28-2010 @ 8:26 AM
  Steve, the generator should provide enough current to run the ignitions system and the lights.

I would have the battery checked out, but also be on the lookout for other gremlins.

Check your spark at idle with the engine warm. Your coil or condenser could be going bad. I have seen a lot of condensers with cold soldered joints on them. They work fine until the engine reaches operating temperatures.

Check for rust or other debris in the fuel pump sediment bowl. It could be getting into your carburetor and causing the car to miss.

Get your hands on a dwell meter, hook it up to your distributor and look for a variance in dwell, indicating binding or bouncing ignition points.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2342