Topic: 1934 Pickup Dimensions

Dolman    -- 12-23-2010 @ 5:42 PM
  Need to know the dimensions of my 1934 pickup that I need to haul from Florida to Alaska. Yeah, I bought it. 3,300 miles of exposure to the elements on an auto carrier form Florida to Seattle is more than I want to risk, not to mention the possibility of a barge sinking on the leg to Anchorage. There are a variety of box trailers available to me to use but in the interest of fuel cost, I would like to use the shortest. I have a 2009 GMC 3/4 that gets a respectable 19.3 MPG highway, but as soon as it has to do a little work, it drops down to around 12-14. So for a 10,275 mile trip every 10th of a mpg saving with Canadian fuel prices in nothern BC and Yukon around $5.00/gal helps. George, you probably know since you have the same pickup.

Thanks.

trjford8    -- 12-23-2010 @ 7:48 PM
  The pickups use the same frame as the pasenger cars. The V-8 Album shows that all passenger cars are 176 inches from bumper end to bumper end. I did not find any dimensions for the pickup , but I believe they are the same length as the passenger car.

watwasithinking    -- 12-23-2010 @ 8:59 PM
  Dolman,
The following information was obtained from the book, "The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It" by Edward P. Francis and George DeAngelis:
The 1934 commercial trucks have a 112 inch wheelbase. The overall lenght is 175.9 inches and the width is 67.4 inches. The front tread measurements are 55.47 inches, rear tread measurements are 58.25 inches.

Hope this info helps.

ford38v8    -- 12-23-2010 @ 9:11 PM
  Dolman, Figure this into your calculations of trailer dimension/economy: the resale value of a limited capacity trailer may be lower than expected. Also, you will no doubt have more than just the truck itself to haul, including personal items for the trip. Consider a larger trailer for those reasons, and for the ease of installing tie-down chains. Know also that no matter how snug you tie down, your truck will shift in transit, and you sure don't want it to shift against a bulkhead.

Alan

Dolman    -- 12-24-2010 @ 8:11 AM
  Thanks, Whatwasithinking, and good points, Alan. I will not be buying a trailer, just borrowing from snow machine addicted friends. All of their trailers have a 7.5' interior width, front and rear doors and a multitude of tie down points. Used one of them once to haul my Harley and a tractor 155 miles from Anchorage to Kenai. That experience satisfies me that the '34 will be a stable load even on the stretch of the Alcan that is 15 mph max and better at 10 mph. Any one of the trailers will enable an 8 point tie down arrangement. I have plenty of 2" web 3,300 lb ratchet type cargo tie downs to do the job. One of my friend has a 20' which will allow enough room.

larryb346    -- 12-24-2010 @ 12:42 PM
  Wondering if the diff. in fuel mileage and driving comfort if you might want to look at buying a trailer in the area where you will be getting the pickup. Then you would be only pulling one way and the difference in Alaska and lower 48 prices you might be able to sell the trailer once you got home for as much or more than you gave for it. With the mileage you mentioned and the fuel at 4 a gal you would save 450 or so in fuel driving down no trailer versus pulling one.
Just a thought.
Larry

carguy    -- 12-24-2010 @ 2:35 PM
  Have you considered having the pickup transported from Florida to Seattle by a commercial carrier with an enclosed trailer? You might find this to be advantageous.

trjford8    -- 12-24-2010 @ 4:52 PM
  carguy makes a good point. Have it trucked to Seattle with an enclosed carrier and pick it up there with the trailer. Sure would save a lot of time and may be cheaper.

Dolman    -- 12-25-2010 @ 6:16 PM
  Larry, Garguy and trjford8,
Stayed in a Best Western motel last night in Wasilla. Not a pleasant experience. A round trip drive from Alaska to Florida and back would at best take about 20 days and 18 nights in motels. Not going to do that. While I tend to be thrifty, I don't have to be so I have decided that the transport will be enclosed the entire way. I can insure the barge transport and if the barge sinks, I'll take the insurance proceeds and start another search. Years ago, I asked a multi-multi millionaire to what he attributed his success. He responded, "Don't fall in love with your investments".
That was good counsel too. Thanks guys for all of your comments. The photo attached is another reason why I will not haul the truck myself. The condition shown goes on for over 150 miles.

trjford8    -- 12-26-2010 @ 8:17 AM
  Beautiful country, but the ride doesn't look too smooth. I think your decision to have it transported is a good one. If you have the $ spend it. An old timer told me "there ain't no pockets on a casket"!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2341