Topic: painting fenders

Wolfie    -- 12-23-2010 @ 5:28 PM
  I'm going to have my 40 painted and will do some of the prep work like removing trim, windows, and bumpers. I'm sure painting the fenders removed would be best, but what do you think about loosening the fenders, taking off the welting, and painting it that way.

nelsb01    -- 12-23-2010 @ 5:55 PM
  You dont mention if you are changing color --- if so, then lossening wont work for you.
I guess you need to decide how good of job you want done. Remember, overspray is no one's friend and shows up when you dont expect it to.

I would take as much off as you can -- since you say you are removing other items, fenders should be also.

My thoughts...............good luck.

Wolfie    -- 12-23-2010 @ 6:15 PM
  I'm not changing colors. I just thought it would be good to do it this way. The painter wouldn't have to move and worry about scratching the fenders.

40guy    -- 12-23-2010 @ 6:52 PM
  Take the fender off, you will avoid excess overspray and also be able to put the fender on a stand for a comfortable working height which leads to seeing the part better which leads to better coverage.

trjford8    -- 12-23-2010 @ 7:39 PM
  Loosening the fender an removing the welting is not in your best interest. There is usually dirt,etc between the fenders and the body and the spray gun will blow it out of the gap and into the new paint. It's a recipe for disaster on a fresh paint job.

Wolfie    -- 12-23-2010 @ 9:08 PM
  These are very good comments and I can see that it is better to take off the fenders. Thanks!

supereal    -- 12-24-2010 @ 10:45 AM
  When we paint a car, we remove all the parts, hood, trunk lid, fenders, etc, and paint them individually. Our body shop prefers this method, as it allows them to fully clean and prep all surfaces, including the edges, which may harbor silicone or other contaminants that prevent or mar paint adhesion. It also allows safe handling of the pieces, minimizing the chance of accidental damage. If a piece does show up with a problem, it is much simpler to redo one piece instead of a whole vehicle.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2340