Topic: 1938 Deluxe front sheet metal assembly

X38    -- 11-01-2009 @ 3:40 AM
  I bought the 'basics'of a '38 Deluxe a few years back and now comes time to do something with it. The problem is it is a bare frame, body shell and the front sheet metal are all loose panels with no hardware. Jigsaw.

I have ordered a front sheetmetal fastener kit, grommets etc. but my question is this: Is there a prefered/better way to assemble the panels? Assemble the grille, inner fenders, fenders as a unit first or piece by piece on the car?

I could figure this out in due course, but I'd rather do it properly from the get-go and not stuff it up. It's always so simple when you get to pull one apart first!

trjford8    -- 11-01-2009 @ 7:38 AM
  Mount the body on the frame using the body mounting kit(rubber isolators,etc). If the doors are off the car you should now mount them and line them up. Once the doors fit with nice even gaps and open/close correctly then move to the front sheet metal.Bolt the inner panels to each fender. Don't forget to put the anti-squeak welting between the panels and the fenders. You'll notice that the fenders bolt to the body and the bottom edge of the inner panels bolt to the frame. Leave everything loose for future adjustment.
Now hang the hood and then the grille.Lastly mount the hood side panels. I should note that your radiator needs to be in place as the side panels, grille and hood catch all have a relationship to the radiator.
Now start tightening the bolts in all the pieces. Take your time and line the pieces up to each other as you go. It wil take some time and hopefully you will have a V-8 friend that can hold some of the parts while you tighten things up.

X38    -- 11-01-2009 @ 6:18 PM
  Thanks for the tips. That all makes sense. I thought this would be a minimum three armed job! And yes, I have the body mount rubber as well.

X38    -- 11-01-2009 @ 8:51 PM
  There are a range of fasteners, which ones go where? Mine have not arrived yet.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=234