Topic: VIN Number

Dolman    -- 12-21-2010 @ 9:10 PM
  I am new to this forum and hope to be the new owner of a 1934 Ford pickup. Exercising due diligence, I asked the seller for a copy of the title prior to remitting any funds and having the truck shipped to Alaska. The truck is registered in New York where titles weren't issued until 1972. The seller emailed a copy of the New York registration which shows the truck to be a 1933. The seller asserts that it is in fact a 1934. There are several numbers on the registration:
13806507 3000 G M971717
The research that I have done so far suggests that the 3 in the first number should be an 8 which would indicate a 1934 if that number is the VIN. The Alaska DMV ran the number appearing on the registration in the national data base and came back with nothing. I was then advised that in order to obtain an Alaska title, the vehicle would have to be inspected to verify the VIN. I guess my question to the membership, is the first number I listed the VIN and is my interpretation of the model year correct?

Thanks for the help.

42wagon    -- 12-22-2010 @ 3:22 AM
  Dolman
Assuming the 3 is really an 8 you are correct that the first set of numbers is a serial number for a 1934 V8. That number should appear on the left frame rail between the radiator and the firewall and should look like this: *18-806507* The other numbers listed are a mystery and should not be part of the car identification number, serial number, vin number, or whatever.

If another serial number appears on the left frame rail you will have a problem as how do you prove that the piece of paper you were given really is for the vehicle in front of you?

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 6:18 AM
  Thanks, 42Wagon.

The seller says that number appears on the transmission and I asked him to email a picture of it. Now I need to have him find the number on the frame rail as you pointed out. I am not enamored of the thought of disassembly of the floor and transmission cover plate at 10 or 20 below for a DMV inspection. And the thought just occurred to me that the transmission could be from another vehicle and the number on the frame would be the governing number. Right?

BrianCT    -- 12-22-2010 @ 7:16 AM
  Where in NY? I would hope someone here could look at it for you. Unless it is very cheap a second opinion on condition would be good.

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 8:36 AM
  The truck is in Florida and is not a cheapie. Completely original and in excellent condition. Might be paying too much for it but I have never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul. The seller is having his mechanic do a chalk rubbing on the frame rail and will email the photo to me. I would like to fly to Florida to do the verification myself (-11 this morning so the thought is very appealing) but I have a back problem that requires morphine for me to tolerate an airline seat.

I appreciate your counsel.

1932BB    -- 12-22-2010 @ 10:29 AM
  Post some pictures! There are small differences in the hood and body between a 33 and a 34 truck and possibly more. It may at least tell you if you are in the ball park so to speak!

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 12:37 PM
  Here's 1 photo. The system doesn't appear to facilitate posting multiple photos. Guess I'll have to open Photoshop and put together a montage. My eyes glaze over every time I try to use it.

CharlieStephens    -- 12-22-2010 @ 12:40 PM
  Ask your state DMV. I bet they won't accept the number on the transmission and will insist on seeing the one on the frame. The best investment you could make would be to fly to Florida and view the car yourself (not just for the number but for everything). If you can't fly send someone or ask for contacts in a local EFV8 club. Pictures can lie, that is part of being a good photographer. I remember my wife telling me how nice and clean down town Los Angeles looked in the movies and then she saw skid row in person.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 12-22-10 @ 12:42 PM

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 12:50 PM
  The number on the frame rail was found and it agrees with the number on the transmission and on the registration New York registration. I only have 284,000 airline miles to burn through but don't like taking pain medications to keep my back quiet while I fly. I have friends that live in Florida who will return home the first week of January and they will do an on-site verification for me. He is a retired engineer which could be bad, but then so am I.
While I have your attention, how do I post more than 1 photo at a time?

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 12:58 PM
  Another Photo.

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 12:59 PM
  Third Photo

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 1:00 PM
  Fourth Photo

trjford8    -- 12-22-2010 @ 1:11 PM
  Your truck is a 34 as indicated by the V-8 badge on the side of the hood. The 33 did not have that badge on the hood. The VIN number is on top of the left frame rail near the firewall. If memory serves me correctly there is a cutout in the left inner fender lip that exposes the VIN. Some states registered a vehicle in the year in which they were sold. If your truck was sold late in 1933, New York probably titled it as a 33 even though it is a 34. It's a great looking pickup.
I would suggest calling a fellow V-8er in the area and have them look at the pickup for you and give you an opinion and check the VIN.I have done this in the past and it worked out well.I offered to pay for gas and lunch and most wouldn't take a thing. They were happy just to go look at another old Ford.

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 1:35 PM
  trjford8,

Thanks for the confirmation. I investigated the seller and found him to be a stand up guy. I have been looking for an unaltered 34 Ford pickup for about 5 years. Not wanting to lose the opportunity on this one, I put the check in the mail. Getting it to Alaska is going to be an adventure. I usually take a 10,000 mile trip dragging a travel trailer every year to visit kids in Washington, Oregon, California and Minnesota. I'm a bit leery of shipping companies practice of shipping on a barge from Tacoma, WA to Anchorage, AK. Sure I can insure it but every once in while a barge gets deep sixed on its way across the Gulf of Alaska. Insurance will recover the money but not the truck and I would much rather have the truck. So, my 10,000 miler in 2011 will be to Florida and back and skip all the kids except the Minnesotans.

George    -- 12-22-2010 @ 2:59 PM
  I agree that your Ford pickup is a 1934 Ford Pickup. I also have a 1934 Ford Pickup, restored. I bought it from a person who bought it from the Ford Dealership in 1934 at Michigan, North Dakota. The title and other papers all agree that it is a 1934, so does the guy who sold it to me. Your truck matches mine perfectly, from your pictures, other than the color. Mine is green with black fenders and black lower panel under the grille. Your pickup is truely a 1934, NOT a 1933.
George Maher
Fargo, North Dakota

George

Dolman    -- 12-22-2010 @ 3:23 PM
  OK, everyone agrees it's a 1934. Good!

ford38v8    -- 12-22-2010 @ 8:16 PM
  Dolman, The advice you've had regarding personal inspection is the best advice you'll ever get. If you cannot inspect it yourself, and cannot locate anyone in the area to inspect it for you, then you should insist on close-up photos of known problem areas in similar cars. Notably, floorboards, bed, and lower door and cowl areas for rust, running boards for excessive wear and rust, fender lips for broken or badly repaired areas, radiator front and rear for fin and tube damage, and underside for patchwork rust repair.

Alan

Dolman    -- 12-23-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  Alan,

The advice and observations given by the members here are well taken and appreciated.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2334