Topic: Mitch*ll overdrive

flathead47    -- 12-19-2010 @ 8:09 PM
  I am thinking about installing a mitch*ll overdrive unit in a 46 - 48 ford convertible. Does anyone have experience with this, installation tips, pictures of installation , was it worth the effort.

trjford8    -- 12-19-2010 @ 8:53 PM
  I think the Mitch*ll is a good choice. I have two people in my regional group who have used the Mitch*ll and both are very happy with the results. I've never installed one so I can't give you any tips. I'm sure others with experience will post on here to give you help.

supereal    -- 12-20-2010 @ 10:09 AM
  I have a Ryan OD in my '47. I'm not sure they are still being made. It came with a lever to shift it, but we made a set of brackets to mount a cable with an under dash knob. As with the Mitch*ll, the unit is furnished with a special torque tube and driveshaft which requires pulling out the rear driveline for installation. It is a fairly straight forward job if you have ever had your rear axle out. Otherwise, it may be best done with someone who has. The overdrive is a fine accessory, allowing cruising at today's highway speeds. Just be sure that your front end and brakes are up to the job.

Bill Wright    -- 12-20-2010 @ 5:37 PM
  I have Mitch*ll's in my '28 Roadster and '37 Fordor.(Freeway Flyer!).
In a Model'A' you need a machinists help pressing the drivelinel parts in and out. In the '37 it's pretty straight forward. Mitch*ll ships all the stuff you need and good directions.So far both units are operating as advertised.You can get either lever or cable controls for the V-8'S It's money very well spent.

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

Pauls39    -- 12-21-2010 @ 8:44 AM
  We installed one in a members 40 pickup last spring. He went to both National meets this year, traveled up to 750 miles per day. It really slowed the engine speed, making hi-way travel much more pleasant. Less noise, less wear, somewhat better milage.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2324