Topic: COLD ENGINE

cresty    -- 12-17-2010 @ 9:52 AM

Hello everyone,----and a

"VERY BLESSED AND MERRY CHRISTMAS"

TO YOU ALL!!!!!
My Question?????

I was moving my "Flathead 8 around to my storage space and I had to let it sit outside the door a few days.-------well the temperature dropped about 20 degrees to about zero and below and now the block is so cold the engine does not want to turn-over!!!

My "Farm & Fleet" Battery was about 3 years old----so I think it was on it's last legs

I bought a new one and that failed to turn the engine over either!!!------I also charged it!!!
---Question---
What is the Best way to heat the engine enough,-- without getting it inside to get it to turn-over???

1-Charcoal under the pan?
2-Torpedo-Type heater?
3-Or What????
I thought I'd ask "The Experts"!!!---THANKS ALL

You All Take Care Now!
Jerry--"Cresty"

Old Henry    -- 12-17-2010 @ 10:00 AM
  When you say "It won't turn over" what does that mean?
Is the starter turning it over but just not fast enough to start it? Or, is the starter not even trying? What's happening when you try to start it?

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

cresty    -- 12-17-2010 @ 10:24 AM

Hi Old Henry--

No the starter does'nt turn it over!!--Just the silonoide clicks!----Thanks!

"A BLESSED CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS"

"CRESTY"

deuce_roadster    -- 12-17-2010 @ 10:47 AM
  Cresty,
Remember that the electricity produced by ANY battery is actually the result of chemistry. ALL chemical reactions are slowed by lowering the temperature. A brand new battery at 70 degrees will have significatly less energy at zero degrees. Perhaps what you are seeing is the reduced power available to the starter is uncovering other problems that existed but were masked under better conditions. ALL cable connections, grounds etc are suspect as well as the cables themselves. Same goes for the starter, it could be gummed up, poor brushes etc. The clicking solenoid itself might not be working as well as it does at higher temps. The clicking solenoid usually means a dead battery if everything else is fine but you should investigate all the other parts of the electrical circuit, remembering that the ground side of the circuit is just as important as the hot side.
Have you rolled the engine over with the fan/belt or crank? My guess is that your problem is connection related.
Good luck and Happy holidays to you!

42wagon    -- 12-17-2010 @ 11:32 AM
  Cresty
Whats the goal here? To actually start the engine or just to see if it will turn over?

Based on experience with numerous vehicles in cold weather I never had one that wouldn't at least turn over and this is at temps down to 20 or so below zero. They might not have started but at least they would turn over.

Assuming you are using normal weight motor oil, either have antifreeze in the radiator or no fluid at all in the radiator, don't have the transmission in gear, have a new battery, and reasonably good electrical components the engine will turn over. Maybe slow but it will turn over.

I don't recommend starting a fire, charcoal or otherwise under the engine. I knew loggers around here that would do that on cold mornings but they didn't mind blistering the paint on the oil pan or doing other damage to big old logging trucks.

They used to make electrically heated dip sticks. Maybe they still do. If you can find one I would try to warm the oil that way. Another alternative might be to refill the heating system with a heated antifreeze and water mix. I'm still betting that everything is fine except for some bad electrical components though.
Ted

supereal    -- 12-17-2010 @ 11:32 AM
  Most of us use a heavier weight oil, and very cold temps congeal it to the point it prevents cranking. The Optima battery produces more than 800 "cold cranking amps", which is enough to turn any engine. If we have a vehicle that needs to be run after sitting outside, the best solution is to tow or push it into a warm place and let it thaw. We do have a couple of magnetic electric warmers that can be clapped onto the bottom of the oil pan. If left for a very long time, they will usually allow the engine to be cranked. They work better if they are put on the pan well before Jack Frost does his thing. Most other devices, such as dipstick heaters are a waste of money. Real damage can result from trying to crank a very cold old engine, so caution is always required. Don't use starting fluid on a very cold engine, or it likely to backfire and start a fire and/or screw up your carb.

TomO    -- 12-17-2010 @ 1:31 PM
  You may have a 'starter lockup'. This occurs when the starter stays engaged with the flywheel. There are 2 ways to free it.

1. If you have a standard transmission, put the shift lever in reverse and get behind the car and rock it. You will hear a bang when the stater releases.

2. Crawl under the car and remove the starter and the re-install it.

Another possibility is that the new battery is not at full charge. Turn on your headlights and try to crank the engine with the starter while having someone watch the headlights. If they stay on, but dim, your battery and electrical system are OK. If they go out, your electrical system has a problem.

Good luck and have a Merry Christmas.

Tom

Old Henry    -- 12-17-2010 @ 1:56 PM
  Two thoughts:

1st - If the solenoid is clicking but the starter is doing nothing, it could be the starter. What I'd do is have someone press the starter button while you tap the starter with a hammer. I've got many a "dead" starter to go that way.

2nd - If you really think it's just that the engine is too cold (which I doubt) you can heat it up by putting your trouble light underneath it. Prop it right up next to the oil pan and let it sit for an hour or so. I've done that too. But, like others have said, it's very unlikely that the engine would be cold enough to prevent the starter from even trying.

My 2 cents.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-17-10 @ 1:57 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-17-2010 @ 5:16 PM
  it would be nice to know what year FORD and engine, you are having problems with
I think you might have a starter that either needs a cleaning or a rebuild.
if you have new good battery, and oil that is 10-30 or similar it should turn over or atleast make a attempt to turn over,,
there is no reason it is not turning over,
did you try jumping it with 12 volts to move the car inside and then take the starter out and look at it,
how old is the starter , was it ever rebuilt.
a lot of times with a car just sitting things corrode, and I would put money on that the comutater is a little corroded and no making good contact with the brushes.
Also you might want to try to turn the engine over with a wrench on the crankshaft nut,to see if stuck or just hard to turn over,
you can always use a rope and second gear to get it started, by pulling it.
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!
lets HAVE a HEALTHY NEW YEAR,,,,!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2313