Topic: Replacement spark plugs

40fordor    -- 10-31-2009 @ 9:16 AM
  What spark plugs are recomended for a 36 Ford to replace the original Champion C7. Will new plugs like NKG connect to the original type plug wires that use the screw on cap? I removed the C7 plugs and replaced them with later new Champions and they do not run well.
It now misses at idle and under load.

supereal    -- 10-31-2009 @ 9:29 AM
  Check or replace your spark plug wires. Just flexing old wires can cause problems, particularly if they have a non-metallic core, and end connectors on those easily shake loose. If they are metallic, be sure the connectors are soldered to the wire. Any brand of new plugs, properly gapped (we use .028) shouldn't cause a problem. I suspect you have a high voltage "leak" before the plugs get their turn. I assume you had the problem before you changed plugs, but the new ones didn't fix it.

40fordor    -- 10-31-2009 @ 11:39 AM
  Super, The wires are stranded copper and when the old plugs are put back into place the problem goes away. I only replaced the C7 plugs to save them. I remember reading on this forum some time ago that Champion had a run of plugs that did not perform well. My new Champions had been on the store shelf for a long time when purchased. I like the look of Champions in old Fords but don't like how these run.
Don

tudorbilll    -- 11-01-2009 @ 8:32 AM
  NKG work fine in my 21 stud,Do you have a new coil? Skips work fine!But they will finley fail also.Now how would i know? BILL

tudorbilll    -- 11-01-2009 @ 8:33 AM
  NKG work fine in my 21 stud,Do you have a new coil? Skips work fine!But they will finley fail also.Now how would i know? BILL

supereal    -- 11-01-2009 @ 9:53 AM
  I suppose anything is possible. I haven't had any problems with Champions, but if the problem clears when the old plugs are back in place, it certainly points that direction. I'd take an ohmmeter and check each one to see if there is an internal open or short.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=231