Topic: hot air heater

eddieakers    -- 12-14-2010 @ 1:36 PM
  I want to install ahot air heater in my 35 coupe has anyone done this and if how diffcult is it

supereal    -- 12-14-2010 @ 2:03 PM
  C&G sells a very compact heater. See page 232 in their on line catalog www.cgfordparts.com Installation in most old Fords consists of mounting the heater to the firewall, then running two hoses into the engine compartment. One hose connects to a nipple in the cylinder head, if a port is available, while the other goes to a nipple installed in the lower radiator return hose on the same side. It is a good idea to install a shutoff valve for summer driving. You will see that valve, and the hose nipple, on page 235. Connect the switch to the accessory side of the ignition switch, and the job is done. Some heaters are furnished with a template to guide drilling the firewall. If not, it is a very good idea to make one before you start. For the hose holes, we use a "chassis punch" of the correct size. They are usually available at electronic parts stores. They make a very clean hole, while drilling such a large one is difficult with a drill, alone. If you don't make a clean hole, be sure to protect the hose from chafing. This whole thing is not a simple job, and takes some time to do it right. Don't expect the same efficiency as modern fresh air heaters, of course.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-14-2010 @ 4:11 PM
  Its a project if you want to install a original one,
you have to remove the RS EXHAUST MANIFOLD,,this is the hardest. and if I remember correctly it says to remove it ,in the hot weather,and reinstall the original manifold back on,
I used to have one NOS, after reading the instructions,
I sold it,
I would rather install if I wanted one is a STEWART WARNER GAS HEATER, it is easier. and you can leave there all year long,
and they throw out great heat,and no carbon monoxcide.
this is only my 3 cents worth,
37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!

MOXIE    -- 12-14-2010 @ 4:13 PM
  I bet you are talking about a exhaust hot air heater and not a hot water heater. If you have all the parts they are not to bad to install. You just remove the right exhaust manifold and install the hot air manifold. Than you install the air scoop and also the vent in the firewall, which takes about a 3" hole. I do not know how much heat these things put out. The manifold heater gets hot enough but I do not know if the air scoop can catch that much air. What about you guys that have a unit like this. Does the air scoop work well enough to keep car warm.

ford38v8    -- 12-14-2010 @ 7:41 PM
  I don't have one, but I do know that with a Hot Air Heater, you get almost instant heat as opposed to a Hot Water Heater. They both have fans, so the air scoop isn't that important. Everyone is afraid of the carbon monixide, but unless your exhaust manifold leaks, there would be none. But then, who ever heard of a manifold leak? Uh huh!

If you want it for Concourse show, remember that there are no accessories that can add points, but many can subtract points. There were several different versions of Ford's Hot Air Heater, and to get all the correct parts assembled correctly is a challenge most would not accept.

The most efficient heater without a doubt would be a gas fired heater, but there were none authorized by Ford.

Alan

35ford    -- 12-15-2010 @ 6:17 AM
  I have one in my 35 touring sedan and it works great! It was in the car when I bought it. I moved the car on a 20 degree day and it was toasty warm very quickly.

MOXIE    -- 12-15-2010 @ 7:49 AM
  I've never heard of one having a fan. I thought they just relied on the scoop for air movement. If you had a fan why would you need a scoop. 35FORD, does your unit have a scoop and fan. I would like to see a picture of your unit if possible.

supereal    -- 12-15-2010 @ 8:18 AM
  Manifold heaters were discontinued because of the very real danger of a carbon monoxide leak. If you don't want to go with a hot water heater, try to find a working "South Wind" gasoline heater. All we had to do was pull out the control knob, and the heat was immediate. There was a Ford "fresh air" heater that used a long air intake duct along the inside of the hood. It wasn't usually very efficient, and they are a curiosity today, if you can find one. Most of us, at least in the northern half of the states, do little or no driving in cold weather so the heater is more for looks than necessity.

Lincoln    -- 12-15-2010 @ 5:49 PM
  If you want to keep it authentic, then you must use the Ford Authorized Hot Air Heater. There were two different styles in 1935, but the later style known as the manifold heater is recommended as you are more apt to locate the parts required to install it. The heater unit just bolts on to your existing RH exhaust manifold. You can not use the RH engine splash pan with it. The basic parts for this heater are the air inlet funnel, the heater unit itself, an inlet and an exhaust pipe, an air inlet elbow, a hot air register, and some other parts. As already mentioned, a large hole has to be drilled in the lower part of the firewall for the register. If a defroster is wanted then additional parts are needed. You can even add the parts required to heat the rear passengers in the Sedans.
No blowers were offered for the 1935. That came later in 1937. "THE 1935-36 BOOK" by the V-8 Club has a good write up on the 1935 heaters. Last month on the fordbarn for sale ads there was a i936 hot air heater shown that used this same type heater unit and most of the 1935 parts. It since has sold but you can access the pictures for reference.
Hope this helps.
Lincoln.

eddieakers    -- 01-01-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  can you take aphoto of your hat air heater and e-mail it to me my e-mail is eddieakers@comcast.net
Thanks Eddie

Henryat1140    -- 01-08-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  I just want to compliment your post. It is EXACTLY the kind of thing which is most helpful. Good references, good information, and a pointer to pictures.

Nicely done.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2307