Topic: Single Oil Pressure - Dual Temp Gauges

SDExpoman    -- 12-13-2010 @ 11:50 AM
  I would like to set up some aftermarket gauges for my trucks 8BA. I am interested in what others have done. Recommendations on brand type(s) and mounting locations would be greatly welcomed! Pictures too.

Thanks

supereal    -- 12-14-2010 @ 7:30 AM
  There are many gauge setups available from sources such as Jegs, Summit, etc. Some are designed to replace the originals, others require extensive dash modification. If you plan to retain the originals, mounting an auxiliary panel on the lower edge of the dash is the usual choice. Stewart Warner is a prominent choice, but VDO and others are also widely used. The street rodders have adopted the digital variety. The original gauges were not particularly accurate, even when new. That is why the "idiot lights" came into use to placate those with OCD. Most newer vehicle gauges are not marked with numbers, only red and green "go-no go" spaces. For most old car driving, the originals are sufficient. More accurate types are necessary for long distance trips.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-14-2010 @ 12:30 PM
  I agree with Supereal about the original gauges, but there are some ways to "calibrate" these. Borrow a digital temp gauge gun and shoot the heads where the temp senders are-look at original gauge and see where it falls. Temporarily attach a oil pressure gauge to the oil filter pressure side tubing and watch the original against the temp one. I am running 12 volts in my 41 truck so I attached an under dash gauge panel with a volt meter to let me know what is going on. Original was an amp gauge. After looking a several expensive gauges- I used a auto zone gauge for this

supereal    -- 12-14-2010 @ 2:08 PM
  As Alan says, the infrared guns are useful, but the results will vary with different surfaces. A non reflective surface, such as a radiator hose, will give a more true reading than a painted surface. We use ours in the shop frequently, but pick several spots to get a more reliable reading.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-14-2010 @ 4:43 PM
  Bob--picky-picky-picky!! Merry Christmas and dont' get too cold.

ford38v8    -- 12-14-2010 @ 8:01 PM
  Another gage you can count on for accuracy is the '36-'39 liquid gage. Proof of the pudding is to put the sender bulb in your wife's favorite pot on the stove. At the boil point, the red liquid will be at the etched mark on the glass tube. At installation, this etch mark is lined up at the 212ยบ mark on the gage.

Alan

SDExpoman    -- 12-14-2010 @ 10:02 PM
  Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will compare the original gauge readings to that of an infrared gun. I will still mount some moderns in the cab as well, as I do plan on taking some road trips.

supereal    -- 12-15-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  Alan: It was below zero here (in Iowa)) for several nights last week. I didn't dare point my temp gun at my cranium, or I would have probably concluded the end was near!

alanwoodieman    -- 12-15-2010 @ 9:23 AM
  Bob, I live in South Carolina but married to an Iowa woman and she loves the snow! It has been single digits in the am but warms up to a balmy 30 in the pm, but no snow-so I have had to listen to endless stories about snow in Cedar Rapids. Going to the garage to warm up and work on the 41 truck

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2306