Topic: Water Heater Restoration Or Replacement?

39Fordfan    -- 10-30-2009 @ 6:26 PM
  Hi.

I've got a '39 Fordor Deluxe with no heater installed. I've also got two water type heaters that I presume will fit a '39 Fordor. They've both seen better days, but look like they could be restored.

My question is, do you know of anyplace that sells these already restored, or NOS? I'm trying to get an idea of whether I should attempt to restore one of my heaters (I don't even know who to take it to, to start with.) Or, maybe to just buy one already set up. Any opinions? Thanks!

PS. I live in Minnesota. I obviously don't drive it in the winter, but you'd be surprised by how many Spring, "Summer" and Fall days you could use a heater here.

trjford8    -- 10-30-2009 @ 9:02 PM
  There are some past articles in the V-8 Times on heaters. Normally the 39 would have the hot air heater which is shown in the V-8 Club's 38-39 book. If you are not concerned about being totally stock I would use the hot water heater. Restoring a heater is not too tough. Check the housing for the original color and try to duplicate it. Check the fan motor to see if it runs and lastly take the heater core to a radiator shop to see if it is worth saving. You will also need to buy a heater valve which you can find at most automotive stores.

51f1    -- 10-31-2009 @ 3:42 AM
  If possible, you should disassemble the motor to clean it and oil the bearings. Also the brushes probably are about worn out. You can get a shop that repairs generators and alternators to order you some (take the old ones with you). You may have to re-size the width of the brushes slightly to make them fit. Use fine sandpaper on a flat surface. And be careful. Brushes are soft.

Richard

oldford2    -- 10-31-2009 @ 5:35 AM
  My 46 has the original Ford hot water heater. You will need to find a switch to run it which are hard to find in the 4 postion mode. 2 speeds forward to force air into the cab and 2 speeds to reverse the motor driving the air up the defroster tubes. I don't know if your 39 has defrost ducts at the bottom of the windshield. I found a NOS switch at Stacey Brown's antique auto supply. John

supereal    -- 10-31-2009 @ 9:24 AM
  There are several things to be sure of when buying an old "correct" heater. Is the motor working? Many replacements are non-reversible single speed. Is the operating switch furnished with the heater? These can get pricey, if you can find one. And be sure the core (the part that holds the water) is not leaking or plugged. The rest is mostly cosmetic, but these things have dollar signs on them. In any case, most of these heaters won't give much relief in your area. That is one reason the "Southwind" gas heaters were so popular. The last old Ford I bought had a Chevy pickup heater in it. I rebuilt the right one for it, but wished the truck heater was back when the temperature dropped.

39Fordfan    -- 10-31-2009 @ 9:26 AM
  Thank-you for the great info. Tom, 51f1 and Oldford2.

I have a 2 position switch that I haven't tested. I'll see if I can get the switch you mentioned. I was just happy with the idea of getting heat in the car. I didn't think about the defrost.

I'm short on most of the duct-work for the defrost. Do I pretty much find the parts on Ebay or swap-meets? Or are there any vendor catalogs where you've seen them? How about the flex air hose and the coolant hose to run up to the heater core? Is there anything available that looks vintage? Thanks!

39Fordfan    -- 10-31-2009 @ 9:47 AM
  Thanks for your response Super. On some days I can almost feel the heat soaking through the firewall. Any improvement would be welcomed.

As a kid, I went through at least 5 Minnesota winters without a heater in the various clunkers I owned. On one long trip through some freezing fog I had to roll the window down and prop my head out into the breeze in order to see.

Another time, I had to pick up my boss at the airport, unexpectedly. I had a big snow-boot covering a gigantic rust hole in the passenger side floorboard. My boss didn't know that I had the boot there for a reason. Since it was in his way, he moved it. And as luck would have it, I passed over a slushy pile of snow and water. He got absolutely slaughtered with cold dirty slushy water and snow! All over his face, his suit and trenchcoat...

He was mad at first. But he saw how absurd my no heat, rusty truck was in Minnesota and started laughing. He even took pity on me and figured out a way to get me into a company car.

supereal    -- 11-01-2009 @ 10:00 AM
  C&G has pages of heater parts, including defroster hoses, etc. Look at their online catalog pages 232-236. www.cgfordparts.com

TomO    -- 11-01-2009 @ 4:38 PM
  The most expensive part of a hot water heater restoration is the core. If your core is leaking, it will cost about $100 to have it re-cored. The motor can be rewired for about $75. The defroster hose can be purchased at most parts vendors. Check to see if the nozzles are under the windshield. I don't think that the 1940 Ford nozzles are the same as the 1939. You may be able to modify them to fit, as the 40 nozzles are the only ones reproduced.

Back in the day, we didn't use the defroster setting on the pre-1940 cars, we just cranked open the windshield a little. On the 40-48 cars, the vent window was used to direct some cold air to the inside of the windshield to keep it clear.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=230