Topic: 35-36 Gas Tank fuel line Connection

35Phaeton    -- 12-11-2010 @ 12:15 PM
  I have just installed a new Drake 35-36 fuel tank in my 1935. The tank has a hole on top to accept a 36 sending unit which is fine as I will be using a 36 fuel gauge.

The fuel line connects to a connection port on the front wall of the tank which is about 40% of the way up from the bottom of the tank.

Does that mean I will need to fill up with gas at the half way point or do I need to feed more of the fuel line into the tank through the connection port which does have a downward angle to it...but I dont want to interfere with the float on the sending unit.....guidence please...Jim

51f1    -- 12-11-2010 @ 12:32 PM
  There must be a tube inside the tank from the external connection to the bottom of the tank.

Richard

flatheadfan    -- 12-11-2010 @ 4:52 PM
  When you attach the fuel line to the '36 tank all you are really doing is attaching the line to an existing fuel line (somewhat like a straw)inside the tank. Where you are going to have a problem is with the fuel tank's venting. To use a '36 tank in a '35 you must also use the '35 fuel neck. The '36 fuel neck looks the same but is different and won't fit into the left-hand '35 tail light opening. To get everything to work you will need to add a venting tube inside the '35 neck. The '36 has a built in venting tube. Note the enclosed pictures.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 12-11-2010 @ 4:54 PM
  Second picture!

35Phaeton    -- 12-13-2010 @ 3:40 PM
  Thanks guys for your insite...it makes sense that there would be a fuel tube going to the bottom of the tank.

Tom, what is the purpose of the vent tube in your photos ?? for when putting fuel in the tank ?, or to vent the tank after the gas cap is put on ?

I remember when I ordered the tank, I was told the tank would breathe throuht the gas cap??

jim

This message was edited by 35Phaeton on 12-13-10 @ 3:43 PM

flatheadfan    -- 12-14-2010 @ 12:52 AM
  Jim-

The vented gas tank cap is needed for off-setting the vacuum created as the tank level drops from fuel use. The "straw vent" in the picture (fuel neck), is needed when you fill the tank. Without it you end-up with fuel backing-up, washing down the the side of fender and on to you! The vent shown will prevent about 80-90% of the potential back-up. I have another venting arrangement that prevents 100% of back-up but requires you to remove the tank to install. If interested let me know and I can send you some pictures of it.

Tom

35Phaeton    -- 12-14-2010 @ 5:59 AM
  Tom, if you can please attach photos....

The body is not on the frame yet but everything is at the paint shop....I might have time to install if not to complicated without holding up the paint shop who has the underside and firewall of the body in final color and next step is 'body-on'..thanks.

jim

flatheadfan    -- 12-14-2010 @ 7:21 AM
  Jim-

No problem giving you the pictures but posting multiple pictures along with their needed resizing is cumbersome on this Form. Send me your email address (PM, if you wish) and will send you the directions along with some pictures.

Tom

TomO    -- 12-14-2010 @ 9:20 AM
  Jim, before you mount the body, make sure that the 36 sending unit will fit in your tank. Most reproduction tanks only accept the after market sending unit.

Tom

35Phaeton    -- 12-15-2010 @ 5:46 PM
  Tom O, when I bought the tank from Drake, I also purchased their sending unit which does match the hole pattern and is (supposed to be) compatible with the orig 36 gauge.....won't know for awhile

Thanks for eveyone's inputs......Jim

TomO    -- 12-16-2010 @ 7:41 AM
  Jim, the reproduction units work with the standard gauges, but they must be adjusted to indicate the fuel level.

Tom

35Phaeton    -- 12-18-2010 @ 12:31 PM
  Tom, thanks for the heads up....I kind of figured I would have to make some kind of adjustment to get it to work with the orig gauge....there sure have been a lot of posts on the subject.

Realisticaly, I won't be in the electrical and gauge phase of my restoration till mid to late Feb. since painting won't be completed till the first week in Jan.

Thanks,Jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2295