Topic: seat belts in 35

olddog    -- 12-10-2010 @ 3:28 PM
  have a 35 four door . has anyone put front seat bealts in one if so how .no rust in this car hate to drill holes in wrong plase.back of seat is real problem.thank you

trjford8    -- 12-10-2010 @ 8:35 PM
  I haven't looked at the seat in a 35 fordor for a long time. Is there a gap at the rear of the seat between the backrest and bottom cushion, so you can slip the belts between the two cushions? If the front seat has a solid back(metal) it makes the installation more difficult and requires a different method of installation. Let me know the seat configuration.

JM    -- 12-12-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  I'm very interested in following this post for my own personal info. I also have a '35 fordor sedan that I would like to put seat belts in. I guess I'm most interested in who makes the best aftermarket seat belts and what is the best way to mount them in an original car, because, I don't care to cut/drill a bunch of extra holes in the nice, no rust ever, floor pans. Thank you for any help!

JM

35Phaeton    -- 12-12-2010 @ 11:50 AM
  I too will be interested in how and what to do for front seat belts in our 1935 Phaeton which has new Bradly floors and will out of the paint shop before the end of the month.....jim

trjford8    -- 12-12-2010 @ 7:35 PM
  I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you will have to drill a couple of holes in the floor pans in order to mount the belts. The inner half of the belt is usually mounted on the floor pan next to the drive shaft tunnel. The outer half can be mounted on an "L" bracket that can be mounted under the seat frame mounting bolt.These "L" brackets can be purchased from anyone who sells the seat belts.You should also purchase the large washers that go on the bottom of the floorpan.
Seat belts have to be made to conform to certain govenment regulations/standards in order for them to be sold to the public. Retailers will not sell any belt that doesn't meet specs due to the huge liability for their business. Many of the V-8 parts suppliers sell them along with the streetrod shops.

olddog    -- 12-14-2010 @ 6:33 AM
  thanks for help seat belts installed in a 35 w/ no gap solid back olddog

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-14-2010 @ 4:21 PM
  I was thinking about installing seat belts in my 37,
I used to own a 66 Corvette,
in the Corvette. they had short cables attached to the frame.and the seat belts attached to the brackets on the floor., that attached to the short cables that were attached to the frame,I guess because of the fiberglass body. would break out in case of a accident. the short cables were what held you in the car, seems like these would work for our purpose also,
seems ataching to the frame is better then the floor pans,
hope this helps, 37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!

Django    -- 12-15-2010 @ 1:18 PM
  Most all the places that sell seat belts tell you to mount them to the body and NOT the frame.

I have seat belts from Juliano's in my '36 5 window.

This message was edited by Django on 12-15-10 @ 1:19 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2292