Topic: Tire flat spots.

Gary M.    -- 12-09-2010 @ 7:39 PM
  How long does it take to cause flat spots on the tires during winter storage? Do the flat spots go away after driving for a while ? Should I jack the car up for the 5 months the car is not used ? The tires are new and I would like any advice that would make them last as long as possible . Thanks ...

trjford8    -- 12-09-2010 @ 7:52 PM
  If you are going to store it for the winter I definitely would keep the weight off the tires.

42wagon    -- 12-10-2010 @ 3:26 AM
  Gary
If you are going to store the car for any length of time it probably is a good idea to get the weight off the tires.

However, I have 6.70x15 tubeless tires with nylon cord one of my cars and I find that flat spots will develop in a week or so of not driving. They give a bumpy start but smooth out after a mile or so of driving.
Ted

supereal    -- 12-10-2010 @ 10:24 AM
  When I replaced the bias ply tires on my car with new ones from Coker, the flat spotting went away. The original tires flatted so bad, you would think the wheels were square for the first few miles. For storage, I inflate the tires to 45-50 psi. That way, if I need to move the car during the winter, I don't have to deal with jack stands. I wouldn't want to fool with them if the garage caught fire!

Gary M.    -- 12-10-2010 @ 2:29 PM
  Im just not sure what most people do for storage and I dont want my new tires ruined. Im also concerned about cracking and dry rot. I have jack stands but in an emergency I dont want to be stuck. I guess there is no miracle ez method of removing the weight from all 4 tires eccept a car lift. Thanks guys...

supereal    -- 12-11-2010 @ 7:09 AM
  The greatest enemy for tires, or anything made of rubber, is ozone, which is generated by nearly all electrical devices. We once had an electrical deodorizer in the shop that produced lots of the stuff. I hung several rubber bands in front of it, and in a few days the bands simply fell apart. I don't know how to shield rubber from this action except to stay away from such devices, and if you have a motorized device, such as a compressor, in your garage, expect accelerated rubber damage.

neil    -- 12-11-2010 @ 10:05 AM
  You might try the roll around dollies as they have a round surface.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2286