Topic: 1940 door latch

Fargo Mike    -- 12-08-2010 @ 3:44 PM
  Drivers door latch sping that holds the latch bolt tight in place broke. Didn't know the latch was inop until I nearly rolled out the door while making a right hand corner. Purchased a new spring. I have never rebuilt a door latch. Any hints, tips or pictures would be appreciated.

ford38v8    -- 12-08-2010 @ 5:47 PM
  Mike, the latch is encased in a two piece metal framework held together by tabs bent over notches. Use care to bend these tabs open enough to release the opposite half of the frame, and upon reassembly, you'll be able to close them up again. They will likely be very weak from stress, but not to worry, the next step is to braze, not weld, the tabs. Welding is too permanent in case the spring breaks again.

Alan

trjford8    -- 12-08-2010 @ 8:38 PM
  Mike, Alan is correct about some of the latches, but not all of them are held together with the tabs. Depending on the supplier they may be held together with rivets. The riveted ones can be repaired with the following method; look on the back side of the latch and you will see where the rivet has been peened over to lock it in place. Lightly grind off the peened area and drive out the rivet with a punch. You will need to drive out 3 rivets. When you get the latch apart replace the spring and re-assemble the latch using the same rivets. The reason you use the same rivets is because they have a shoulder on them and they are difficult to find. Tap them back into place and then weld them in placed on the backside. I have done several this way and it seems to work well for me.

kubes40    -- 12-09-2010 @ 6:08 AM
  Heat the tabs and bend them. Re-heat prior to folding them back over upon reassembly. I have never broken one using heat. I am at this very moment doing a 40 convertible latch...
Regards,
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Fargo Mike    -- 12-09-2010 @ 7:24 AM
  Thanks fellows for the quick resonse about my '40 Ford door latch spring repair. Mine is riveted. Perhaps I should try brazing the ground off side of the rivets to the latch frame. Merry Christmas from North Dakota.
Fargo Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2281