Topic: 36 steering wheel

j.grif    -- 10-30-2009 @ 3:36 PM
  Would like to replace the ign/lock assy on a 36 ford five window coupe and have a couple of questions to ask you fine folks before doing anything. Can the horn button and rod be removed with the vinyl top in place? And in the past there have been suggestions of how to pull the steering wheel? Which by the way, I could really use a better one. Thanks much for the help.

ford38v8    -- 10-30-2009 @ 4:09 PM
  Grif, If you have a coupe with a roll down rear window, that would be the
easiest way to remove the horn/light rod. Otherwise, you must loosen the
steering box mounting bolts and drop the column from the dash support,
allowing the column to swing to the open drivers door.

Alan

j.grif    -- 10-30-2009 @ 6:01 PM
  I do have the roll down back window ,Thanks Alan

trjford8    -- 10-30-2009 @ 9:05 PM
  Grif, when you do this be sure to put some old blankets or some type of cover on your front seat. That horn rod is greasy and sure as heck when removing it you will touch some part of the seat or upholstery.

flatheadfan    -- 10-31-2009 @ 12:14 AM
  j.grif-

I have done this several times on '35-'36 coupes and it is somewhat more complicated that it first appears (isn't everything!). You need to remove the electrical hardware from the bottom of the steering column, pull two of the bolts that hold the steering gear to the frame, loosen the third.

Cover the steering column with some cardboard tubes from a couple paper towel rolls (prevents damage to the tube). Pull up the left-hand floorboard. Stuff a bunch of rags around the pedals. Remove the two 5/16" bolts that attach the steering column drop to the dash, roll down the rear window. Tilt the column down to the seat.
Things are tight, but the light disk will just clear the rear window opening.

I know I am skipping over several items but I think you get the idea. If you want the complete instructions with pictures let me know and I will email.

Hope this helps.

Tom

j.grif    -- 10-31-2009 @ 9:33 AM
  Tom, I can always use good info that you offer. My email is menowork@q.com. Thanks and thanks to all for the help

j.grif    -- 10-31-2009 @ 3:44 PM
  Tom,received your email with instructions. Will make the upcoming job much easier. Thanks much

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=228