Topic: Flathead head cleaning

ken_r_mer    -- 12-08-2010 @ 7:36 AM
  I'll be installing an offenhauser 2x2 this winter that I happened to get super cheap and was pondering about cleaning the factory heads. My question is, if I beadblast the outer heads to remove the paint and iron oxide discoloration, then coat the heads with a high heat resistant clear coat spray paint, will the heads retain the natural fresh look of the cleaned surfaces or will they eventually start turning the rust red color? Anybody out there try this? And no, I'm not interested in spending $500+ for a set of aluminum heads. I have a set budget each year, or else I'd be forever going overboard.

TomO    -- 12-08-2010 @ 7:53 AM
  I suspect that the clear coating will eventually start peeling off of the cast iron. Most clear coats are a top coat and require a primer to adhere to the metal.

Tom

carguy    -- 12-08-2010 @ 10:01 AM
  While the subject is raised, what is the recommended procedure for freshening up the surface of the factory aluminum heads on my '34.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-08-2010 @ 1:55 PM
  GLASS BEAD THE HEADS, both sides.,
Then what about painting with high temp engine paint ?
that also is a option,
my 3 cents worth, 37 RAGTOPMAN

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-08-2010 @ 2:08 PM
  CARGUY.
go on the National Corvette, Registery Society
google NCRS, They have a procedure for doing it right,
this is for keeping the skin from when they cast the casting, if it is still there,
glass beading removes that skin,yes it looks clean, but in a short time will get dirty,and be harder to clean,the next time,
also try soaking in DAWN,dish detergent,
this will also clean, use a nylon scrub brush,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

ken_r_mer    -- 12-08-2010 @ 2:49 PM
  I was at an automotive paint supply shop and the guy showed me a clear coat high temp engine paint. I'll have ask him if it requires a primer. I just thought, the fresh clean metal look of the stock heads would look good with the natural finish of the offenhauser intake manifold and the red engine block. My biggest worry would be seeing the heads oxidize in a short period of time.

ken_r_mer    -- 12-08-2010 @ 7:10 PM
  Here is another thought on the cast iron head cleaning. What about a chemical cleaner to remove the existing paint and then something like a tri-sodium phosphate to rid the iron oxidation? That way I save the effort of removing the heads from the block. Yeah, I'm the lazy type too.

Again, I'm trying to get that new/clean casting look and trying to make it last. Any suggestions or known experiments that worked would be greatly appreciated.

39 Ken    -- 12-09-2010 @ 4:00 AM
  I use White vinegar and a brass bristle brush to clean up aluminum heads and manifolds.

supereal    -- 12-09-2010 @ 2:14 PM
  If you glass bead the surface of the heads, they will soon rust if iron, and an oxide will form if they are aluminum. A good quality engine paint will cover the iron heads. Most after market aluminum heads are coated with some form of clear coat. Bead blasting creates a "matte" surface that is difficult to coat. I've seen lots of iron heads that were given a couple of coats of a good grade of aluminum paint and looked fine. I'd chemically strip any heads that have some paint on them, then buff and paint. We glass bead lots of items in our shop, but don't paint them. A good rotary steel brush will usually remove any traces of old paint without creating a surface that rejects paint.

ken_r_mer    -- 12-09-2010 @ 3:38 PM
  Ok, spent a few hrs perusing the 'net and I found a clearcoat for bare metal. Its made by Eastwood and its called Diamond Clear #10300Z satin finish for bare metal surfaces and its resistant to 350 degrees fahrenheit, fuel resistant and non-yellowing. Its an acrylic co-polymer product. So after cleaning the aluminum intake and the cast iron heads, I'll try this product. At $12.99 for a 11 oz. spray can, its reasonable.

Stroker    -- 12-09-2010 @ 4:14 PM
  Should work; if your heads get above 350 deg.F you're out of coolant!

ford38v8    -- 12-09-2010 @ 5:02 PM
  carguy, The worst surface to clean without damage would be carburetors, but aluminum heads and manifolds run a close second. Once they are aggressively cleaned, they can never be restored to original. If blasting, use a soft media such as corn cob or plastic media, and start out at a low psi.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2279