Topic: wiper motor

pbc64    -- 12-05-2010 @ 2:46 PM
  h*llo would anyone have a diagram or tell me the location the vacuume lines go on the switch for the 41 ford thanks paul

Old Henry    -- 12-05-2010 @ 3:50 PM
  Check this diagram and see if it's what you need.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

pbc64    -- 12-05-2010 @ 4:09 PM
  thank you old henry that should help i have a new motor and switch i have reversed these hoses in every direction and get nothing motor is freshly greased and free when i turn the paddle to one side then put the manifold line direct to motor the paddle moves to the opposite then stops ??

Old Henry    -- 12-05-2010 @ 7:38 PM
  Do you have the two connections on the motor as in the diagram? One is for running the motor, the other is for parking the motor. It shouldn't matter which tube you hook to which side as long as each is connected to one of the sides of the switch, not the middle, that one's for the tube from the engine.

Let me know how it goes. I've spent a lot of time on these motors to get them to work right.

Old Henry

pbc64    -- 12-05-2010 @ 7:49 PM
  old henry yes i have two top nozzles it will be a few days before i get back to it i will let you know for sure i either have crossed hoses or maybe a clogged switch thank you paul

Old Henry    -- 12-05-2010 @ 8:45 PM
  When you get back to it, try running the motor with a hose straight off of the engine without going through the switch and see if it works. When you put the hose on one fitting, it should run. When you put it on the other it should park. All that the switch does is change the vacuum flow between each side.

Old Henry

Robert/Texas    -- 12-12-2010 @ 4:52 AM
  I bought a NOS wiper motor from Fickens about ten years ago. This was for my '34 roadster and he said it was the last one he had. It worked fine right out of the box. About two years later it stopped working. It went to the opposite side and parked as you mentioned yours does. Someone on a forum suggested spraying a little WD40 in the inlet port. As the motor is chromed, I was hesitant to disassemble it so I tried this. It started working again and has continued working ever since.

pbc64    -- 12-12-2010 @ 4:52 PM
  robert/texas i will be trying the wd40 trick next old henry no luck blew out the valve under the carb a direct line to the motor i did put compressed air to the motor and it worked but not real fast when i bought the motor it was advertised as a 41 merc ssr-2 which i thought would be the same as a 41 ford i am looking at both of them other then the tops they look the same and the bracket thats attached to the paddle which the wiper linkage is connected to is different in one is straght and other is curved the new one has a black box vent my old does not what i thought i might do is swap tops paul

Old Henry    -- 12-12-2010 @ 5:46 PM
  If the motor is going from park position to the other side and stopping, the oscillating valve is stuck. You might try lubricating the valve by shooting a small amount of WD-40 into the intake holes in the valve cover. They are the two very small holes at the top of the attached picture. If not, you can take the cover off of the valve and lubicate it with light oil such as WD-40 and it should at least get the paddle to go back and forth. You might even try moving the paddle back and forth before putting the cover back on the valve and make sure the valve switches back and forth to each side as the paddle is moved back and forth.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-12-10 @ 7:40 PM

TomO    -- 12-13-2010 @ 7:40 AM
  Paul, The 1941 parts catalog lists the same P/N for the Ford and Mercury, so if the linkage hooks up without binds, the motor should work.

I use 10W oil to lube the mechanism and 30W oil on the linkage. These motors almost do not work and need the linkage in good condition as well as the motor in good condition.

If you have the motor out, I would hook a vacuum hose directly to it and run it to make sure it works. Then I would install it and run it without the wiper blades for a few hours to loosen up the mechanism. I do this every spring when I do my spring shakedown drives. I also lubricate the linkage every spring.

Tom

Texas40    -- 12-13-2010 @ 7:56 AM
  Try a little Marvel's Mystery Oil on your wiper to lube the paddle and mechanisms, it will stay put better than the wd40.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2272