Topic: Drag Link disconnection from Pitman Arm

em1davis    -- 12-04-2010 @ 12:25 PM
  Anybody have any tips for removing the drag link from the pitman arm. I have a 1947 Tudor that I need to drop the oil pan and I can't get drag link disconnected. My Service manual says use a wedge to drive the tapered ball joint assemblies from the spindle arm. At this point I've broken several wooden wedges as I've wailed on them with my rubber mallet in my attempts to do this.

This car was an inheritance all ready fully restored so I just want to keep her running for Sunday Cruising.
Thanks

Old Henry    -- 12-04-2010 @ 12:42 PM
  AutoZone rents a pitman arm puller for free that I used to get mine off. It works the same as a steering wheel puller or hub puller. Mine took some heating of the conncetion along with tightening and pounding the puller but I eventually got it off.

I'm not familiar with the wedge method. Sounds a bit barbaric using brute intertia from a hammer rather than combining it with the screw action of a puller.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

ford38v8    -- 12-04-2010 @ 2:46 PM
  EM, The first question comes to mind is why would you need to drop the pan if all you need is to keep it running? I suspect that you wish to clean out accumulated sludge in the pan? If there is so much sludge that it is interfering with your oil pump, then you'd need to pull the engine to clean out the valve chamber valleys also, which brings us to the second question: Why labor under the car when it is so much easier to pull the engine and flip it over, which is the best way to replace the pan correctly anyway?

Alan

Stroker    -- 12-04-2010 @ 4:22 PM
  There is a tool that us geriatric types would call a "pickle fork", which should do the trick.
Sometimes just "rapping" on the outer edge of the eye will do it, but the pickle fork is the best tool for this application.

shogun1940    -- 12-04-2010 @ 5:30 PM
  pickle fork or tie rod forks come in different sizes and work well, or you can take two large hammers ,put one on one side and hit the other side usualy a couple good hits loosen up the tie rod ends, apuller is still the best way to go on the steering box end.

kubes40    -- 12-04-2010 @ 5:36 PM
  There is a tool (puller)for properly removing a tie rod end. A 'pickle fork' works but can and often does damage the ball / socket.
I'd suggest either purchasing the correct puller or renting one if you want to reuse the tie rod end.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2270