Topic: Fan Hub Parts

Johns46coupe    -- 12-03-2010 @ 8:16 PM
  Hello gents. My fan hub was causing engine vibration and was worn so I ordered a new spindle and impeller from C&G who told me they were NOS. My old impeller is on the bottom in this photo. Notice the difference in the size of the spiral groove for moving the oil. The new one is about 1/16 wide and 1/32 deep. The old was at lease double that.

Do you think this is OK and what weight oil should I use? C&G says 20 wt. I was going to use 80 or 90 wt but am concerned it won't move much oil, especially when cold. Thanks for all opinions!

John

This message was edited by Johns46coupe on 12-3-10 @ 8:22 PM

supereal    -- 12-04-2010 @ 7:06 AM
  I assume the spindle was changed to accommodate a lighter oil. C&G is a reliable source, so I trust them. If it doesn't work, you can send it back. My best guess is that since the books and decals all say motor oil, perhaps this is an attempt to make that sufficient. I can't think of another reason. Let us know how it works out.

Old Henry    -- 12-04-2010 @ 10:36 AM
  I don't know what year your car is, but my owners manual for 42-48 says to use "Mild E.P. gear oil (Saponifiable type) Summer - S.A.E. 140 Winter - S.A.E. 80."

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-4-10 @ 10:39 AM

supereal    -- 12-04-2010 @ 11:52 AM
  The problem arose because the original fan blade decal says "SAE 20 Motor Oil", but a later service bulletin called for "transmission oil". Neither the decal nor the owner's manuals were ever modified to reflect the change. The fan hub, in any case, is a "Rube Goldberg" thing without any real bearings or bushings. Over tightening the belt causes the hub failure. I made a ball bearing hub for my car after going thru a couple of the original style.

Johns46coupe    -- 12-13-2010 @ 10:58 PM
  I thought I would report what happened. First of all, I had to do a bit of filing of the new spindle to get the spindle and impeller to move freely. I used the same weight oil I use in the crankcase due to the smaller spiral grooves. I've driven it about 25 miles since installing the rebuilt assembly and it seems to be fine. I have decided to go with a ball bearing setup if I ever experience more problems. Thanks for your input Super and Old Henry.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2268