Topic: Spare tire lock will not release

cassidy    -- 12-03-2010 @ 2:01 PM
  The car is a 1936 Delux Touring Sedan with 40k original miles always garage kept. The spare tire is the flip down hub cap type with original hurd lock. Lock cylinder moves in and out and key will turn approx. 1/4 turn lock will not release. I sprayed pb blaster into lock but do not believe corrosion is the problem. How far should key turn to release lock?
Any tricks to unlocking spare tire? Any suggestions short of drilling out lock will be appreciated.
Thakn you,
Jim

trjford8    -- 12-03-2010 @ 7:55 PM
  Jim, try pushing inward on the lock mechanism as you turn the key.

supereal    -- 12-04-2010 @ 7:13 AM
  Those locks are subjected to the elements and any iron parts easily rust, particularly the springs that tension the pins. I'd give the rust buster some time, and exercise the lock and key path as far as it will go occasionally to work it in. It may work, but it is a long shot. The best lock lube is always a graphite type. It doesn't dry out or attract dirt that eventually gums up the pins.

trjford8    -- 12-04-2010 @ 8:37 AM
  In addition to Bob's advice you might try using Lock-Ease. It's an oil and graphite compound and I have found it works very well loosening rust, etc. You can get it in a spray can at Ace Hardware.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-06-2010 @ 6:01 AM
  you can also apply a little heat with a hair dryer.
this will aid in the pentrating lube doing it job,
also try blowing the lock out with compressed air.cleanning it out.
hope this helps
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!

tbloss    -- 12-07-2010 @ 11:31 AM
  I had the same problem with my 35 about 10 years ago. In my case the three pins that hold the locking cap to the wheel had rusted and would not let the lock work. As I remember I got some lube in there and after a few days the the pins moved enough to let the key lock work. Hope this helps...Tom..

Tblossom

Henryat1140    -- 12-09-2010 @ 1:54 PM
  I too was puzzled by the spare tire lock.

I _thought_ you would turn the key and the center lock would come out but it really doesn't work like that. (at least on the two '36's I've had). You turn the key, and the whole large disk comes off, not just the center lock. You first have to remove the band around the tire though.

cassidy    -- 01-03-2011 @ 9:48 AM
  To:Henryat1140
I just wanted to thank you for your reply re: 36 spare tire removal. I would never have guessed the outer ring must be removed first. Neither did any one else. When you look at spare tire ir certainly looks like lock cylinder would be a seperate part, not part of entire cover. But it did work!! Thanks Again

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2267