Topic: One Side of Flathead Running Hotter (Revisited)

Steves46    -- 12-03-2010 @ 4:49 AM
  Awhile back, I posted a thread regarding the driver’s side head on my 46 Coupe was running 15-20 degrees hotter during higher RPMs (I have a set of mech gauges). I have ruled-out the sender but have a hunch on a probable cause. I run with headers and dual exhaust and despite that they are only a few years old, I think either:

1. There is a clog in the pipe or mellow-tone steel pack muffler...or.....
2. Like most flathead set-ups, the exhaust pipe was interfering with the clutch pedal so in order to make the clearance, the muffler shop had to really pound on the pipe.

The more I think about it, maybe the restriction(s) I described may come into play when the engine is running at higher RPMs.

Also, I have noticed that when the engine is warming-up after being started, the passenger side pipe produces more vapor and exhaust output then the driver’s side.

Just a hunch but I definitely wanted to run this across for thoughts. Could I be on to something?

Thanks and I am anxious to hear anyone's perspective.

carcrazy    -- 12-03-2010 @ 12:24 PM
  Try checking the thermostats. The engine coolant temperature in each side of the engine is dependent upon the thermostat on that side of the engine. You can put the thermostats in a pot of water with a thermometer in it that you watch while heating on a stove to determine when the thermostats open. You will want to determine the temperature at which each thermostat starts to open and the temperature when each is fully open. If you don't want to check the thermostats with a thermometer while warming them up, you can simply swap them side for side in the engine and see if the other side now runs hotter.

Johns46coupe    -- 12-03-2010 @ 12:52 PM
  Steve, do you still have the butterfly valve installed between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe? If so, suspect that. If it fails to open it will be a major exhaust restriction. I removed it on my '46.

John

alanwoodieman    -- 12-03-2010 @ 3:54 PM
  are you getting water vapor from the "hot" side, check for a slight headgasket leak, the compression could be forcing exhaust gas into the water on that side

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2265