Topic: 1935 persistant oil leak

35ragtop    -- 12-01-2010 @ 9:53 PM
  Hi guys,I have a persistant oil leak between my gearbox and the driveshaft tube. Ive had it apart 3 times and last time made sure there was gasket cement between all the faces. My latest examination with torch and my glasses clean it would appear that its coming out between the vulcanised rubber and the front most flange that faces the gearbox.I have reused the old transmission support bracket and it may be that the rubber has let go on the metal flange.
What do you think? Is this a possibility?

supereal    -- 12-02-2010 @ 9:23 AM
  Hate to be a bearer of bad news, but that is a common leak. The old Ford seals are primitive, and tend to leak, even when new. You can reduce transmission oil leakage by only filling the box until you reach the oil with a finger that is crooked down into the filler hole. If you are using a synthetic oil, it will aggravate the problem, s it has a lower surface tension than the common type. Most of us old, old Ford guys maintain plenty of cardboard on our garage floor to catch the drips, anyway.

35ragtop    -- 12-02-2010 @ 1:40 PM
  Thanks Supereal, Its actually good news because I was dreading the thought of taking all those cotter pins out yet again.
I will drain out the 90 oil and get some "vintage blend" - it may help. I have made sure its not overfull.

Do those transmission mount (rear) give any bother?
Just wondering if I should have replaced it.
thanks

40 Coupe    -- 12-03-2010 @ 5:49 AM
  In an effort to slow the leaking I installed transshafts with O-rings, I use 85-140W and there was RTV covering the ends of the shafts, I still have a very small occasional drip.

supereal    -- 12-03-2010 @ 8:19 AM
  We used to install a sort of cup on the back of Model A transmissions to catch the oil that oozed around the shaft openings in the case, but I haven't seen any for later cars. There isn't a seal on the output shaft, just a slinger, so oil can move freely out of the box. Using straight 140 weight oil and not overfilling will reduce, but not end leakage. The Model A actually used a very thick 600W oil, but it shouldn't be used in later vehicles as it is more like thin tar than oil. As for motor mounts, front and rear, they either harden from age, or get oil soaked and soft. We replace them when the engine or transmission is out. The round "biscuit" type should be cinched down until they begin to bulge. As for the later type, there isn't much that can be done, except to be sure they are securely attached to both the transmission and the crossmember.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2260