Topic: WTB '47 Ford Metric Speedometer

FRITZ47    -- 12-01-2010 @ 6:20 PM
  I am looking to buy a Metric Speedometer for a 1947 Ford. Please reply to fzoldcars@comcast.net

Thanks,
Fred

ford38v8    -- 12-01-2010 @ 7:14 PM
  Fred, please post your want ads in the Classified section. This is the Forum.

Alan

FRITZ47    -- 12-02-2010 @ 7:47 AM
  Very sorry - I am new to the Early V8 Club and this forum, so will do this - Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

supereal    -- 12-02-2010 @ 1:30 PM
  All speedometers are the same mechanically. The difference is the dial face markings. Try Bob's Speedometer at 1-800-592-9673. They may have an alternate face. Your questions are always welcome here.

Stroker    -- 12-02-2010 @ 1:35 PM
  Uh..wouldn't the odometer wheels have to be re-geared, since Kilo's and Miles are not divisible by
the same number per revolution?

ford38v8    -- 12-02-2010 @ 4:36 PM
  Dan, I think Bob is correct. The engine revs per axle rev is the same no matter how you measure the distance. Only the readout where the needle is pointing would be different. ...Uh, wait a minute, what about the odometer reading?

Alan

Stroker    -- 12-02-2010 @ 5:19 PM
  Alan:

Yea, I thought Super's solution was the simplest, until I got to thinking about the odometer.
As for putting Fritz's needs onto the classified section, I put a parts wanted ad there about a month ago, and just before it expired, I got an email from a person in London, UK who had just what I needed. A few back and forth emails however suggested that: (A), he wanted a ransom price, and (B), had no familiarity with the item, and (C),would not take PayPal, only a Western Union funds transfer. Given that I can't imagine someone who really didn't know what I wanted would be so solicitous, I suspect that when we post ad's, it triggers some sort of alert to the scam-types. Perhaps someone more familiar with the workings of our web site can elaborate, but I've also noticed that some of our Forum topics also elicit strange (deranged)? follow-up entries.

Any thoughts?

ford38v8    -- 12-02-2010 @ 11:02 PM
  Dan, on reading your post again, I now see that you did question the odometer gear rather than the driveshaft turtle gear, so we were on the same page after all.

The scammers and email harvesters abound everywhere. In the old days, we only had the parasites on Hemmings to deal with. Once bitten, though, most of us wise up.

Alan

FRITZ47    -- 12-03-2010 @ 6:06 AM
  Thanks all for the help. I originally posted this request to buy a Metric Speedometer for a 1947 Ford in error on this forum. As directed, I later posted the same request in the classified wanted section. This was 2 days ago and it has still not been posted. I noticed that this section requires a 24-hour delay. Does this take longer, or am I missing something?

FRITZ47    -- 12-03-2010 @ 8:01 AM
  Item just posted on the Wanted Classified. I must be getting impatient in my old age. Very sorry for all of the confusion and for my posting in the wrong place. I will watch this in the future. Fred

supereal    -- 12-03-2010 @ 8:09 AM
  One mile equals about .62 kilometers. Thus ten miles equals just over 16 Km. Divide the miles on the odometer by ,62 and you get the Km covered. If you look at the face of speedometers on today's cars, you see that there is one dial inside the other, one for mph, the other for kpm. Some have a switch for the now common electronic speedos to convert the odometer reading, but I haven't seen any gear sets for old Ford speedometers that will convert the odometer to metric.

FRITZ47    -- 06-21-2011 @ 5:13 AM
  I had the exact same experience as described by Stroker - quickly receiving two different replies from London (same street), asking for my cell phone number. At first I was going to reply, but after reading Stroker's post, did not do so. Still looking.

Fred

ford38v8    -- 06-21-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  Fred, Try posting on the United Kingdom RG 127 website.

http://www.earlyfordv8.co.uk/v8mart.html

If no response, give Chris Sanders a call. He's the President, and a very agreeable fellow. (Get the time zone right!) Chris may have a lead for you.

Alan

supereal    -- 06-21-2011 @ 5:34 PM
  I'm not sure how important the odometer is. No modern cars that I know of adjust the difference unless they have a switch to do the change. If you rely on the odometer to schedule service, those intervals are given in Ford literature in miles, anyway. If you look at the speedometer of most cars, the kilo scale is inside the mph. If there is a special gearing for metric speedos, it would be interesting to know of it. So far, I haven't seen one. Electronic speedos address the difference, but don't change sensors.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2258