Topic: Hand cranking?

wrosenkrans    -- 11-30-2010 @ 12:31 PM
  I've noticed on my '42 what looks like provision for hand cranking the engine. I hand crank my Model T easily, my Model A's less so, I can't imagine trying to crank start a V-8. Looks like it would have to have been a pretty long crank tool. Does anybody have one of these? What do they look like? Were they part of the usual tool kit with the car?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

40guy    -- 11-30-2010 @ 6:14 PM
  Yes, I have one for my 40". A rough description is, it is a solid steel round bar with a "T" about an inch from the end to engage the crank ratchet. There is also a handle that resembles a Model T crank that fits on the other end to turn with.

42wagon    -- 11-30-2010 @ 6:39 PM
  As 40guy sez the hand crank for these cars consists of a long bar plus a crank handle. Joblot Automotive lists it in their catalog as #40-17036-SET at $34.95 in 2009.

This was not part of the set of tools supplied with the car.

If you don't already have it you should get a copy of the 41-48 Ford book. Available from the Early Ford Club on the home page of this site. In it is a list of the tools that came with the car. Like the Model A they varied slightly from year to year.
Ted

wrosenkrans    -- 11-30-2010 @ 7:14 PM
  There was a tool in the compartment under the trunk mat that looks like a small Model T crank with a 7/8 in. socket on one end. I thought it was a lugnut wrench, but I wonder if its the crank part of the starter tool.

I did get the 41-48 book from the club and have most of a correct toolkit assembled, except for the large jack handle/tire tool. I'll contact Joblot to see if they still carry the long bar.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

40guy    -- 11-30-2010 @ 8:19 PM
  O.k. lets get a little more involved in this. The tool you found sounds like a lug wrench. If it fit the crank the end would be square not hex. There were actually two or three kinds of these handles. 1-lug wrench, the other end is plain. 2- lug wrench on one end, square on the other end to mate up with the crank extension {rod]. This is the kind I have. There may have been some with a square end only, but I'm not certain about that. Hope this helps.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-01-2010 @ 6:14 AM
  WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT WRAP YOUR THUMB. around the crank handle. cup the handle when cranking,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 12-01-2010 @ 6:42 AM
  Back in the days of the Model T, there was a medical condition actually called a "Ford Fracture". It was the result of holding the crank with a closed fist after forgetting to to push up the spark lever.

TomO    -- 12-01-2010 @ 7:25 AM
  Wayne, contact Lin Stacey, the V-8 Club's tool advisor for the correct tools for your 42.

Tom

wrosenkrans    -- 12-01-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  Joblot does have the starter crank tools as a set for $34 in their catalogue, and I've ordered them to show with the toolkit.

I actually did try to email Lin Stacey when I saw his ad in the latest V-8 magazine, but I get a timeout notice from his server. I'll try again.

Been cranking my two T's for some time ('26 Touring and '19 Speedster) and so far have avoided the dreaded "Ford Fracture." Key is, as you said, cupping the crank rather than holding it, always pulling up on the crank, never pushing down, and double checking the spark at full retard.

The Model T's start pretty easily on the crank. I did try to crank one of the Model A's once and it was a beast trying to spin the crank with the A's compression. I can't imagine trying to crank the V-8. Anybody actually done it?

Been thinking our Black Model T Touring, Black Model A Town Sedan, and Black V-8 Tudor would make an interesting display at a show or school to demonstrate the technology advances from the 20's to the 30's to the 40's.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

42wagon    -- 12-01-2010 @ 10:29 AM
  Here's a bit of trivia that probably belongs in a Model A forum but since we are on the subject of starting cars without using the electric starter here goes. It is possible if you catch it just right to start a Model A on compression. Push up the spark retarder and turn the key. If the engine stopped at just the right point, is warm enough, and has a good compression seal, it will start. It has happened to me several times, but like I say you need to catch it just right.

wrosenkrans    -- 12-01-2010 @ 3:19 PM
  I've heard of that trick working on Model T's, but everything has to be just right. I've been able to get a "free start" like that a couple times. Never heard of it working on a Model A though.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

Stroker    -- 12-01-2010 @ 4:12 PM
  Wayne-n-Barb:

Yeah, it works better on a T, since the vibrator coils allow for a lot of latitude, It works on an A, only if moving the spark lever opens the points. Like you, I've gotten a couple of "freebies"
on my 26 Coupe, but I've never had it happen on our 29 or 31.

Somehow, I miss having a mixture control and spark control. I know that this has been done automatically, since 1932, but I still like CONTROL!

drkbp    -- 12-01-2010 @ 5:46 PM
  I hand crank my '14 T because it has no starter but me. My '25 T has a starter and I use it. I crank left handed and have gotten slapped on the hand only a time or two. It only happens when I don't retard the spark like I should.

I would rather roll the V8 car and start it if I have to. I hate to stick a crank through the grill of my '35 to start it. The grill doesn't have a crack or break in it.

The timing is 4 degrees before top dead center on the V8 and I don't like to crank a "strange" engine by hand set before TDC. Mine will start in reverse or second rolling down the drive.

I always had thought the crank in the V8 years was more for setting the valves and such. Do I have that wrong?

Ken in Texas

supereal    -- 12-02-2010 @ 1:36 PM
  In typical Ford fashion, the crankshaft nut, called a "ratchet", was used in one form or another up to and including '48. Other than the four cylinder engines, and the 60hp, they will fit all engines, including the six. I don't recall anyone actually hand cranking many Fords after the Model A days.

Henryat1140    -- 12-02-2010 @ 3:48 PM
  Well it can be done - but I'd suggest only for the novelty of doing it. We cranked my '36 using the lug wrench and extension. It started right up.

I've had numerous early Model T's, only one with a starter, and am used to cranking. I used to say, they ALWAYS start on the _last_ crank (yuk yuk).

wrosenkrans    -- 12-03-2010 @ 9:27 AM
  "Always starts on the last crank," I going to use that...

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

41fatty203    -- 02-27-2011 @ 3:59 AM
  I used to hand crank my 41 Deluxe coupe for demonsration until I broke my grille around the crankhole.

ken ct.    -- 02-27-2011 @ 4:22 PM
  Ive hand cranked my 36 a few times and i dont see a problem?? ken ct.

watwasithinking    -- 03-02-2011 @ 7:37 PM
  My '36 is rather easy to crank by hand. I set the crank at about 7 o'clock'...pull up.... and it starts right up. (On occasion when asked about the hole in the bottom of the grill by some dis-believer, I get the old crank and extension out and demonstrate) I believe the key ingredient is a hot battery,good coil and distributor set up. I've got my engine tuned and timing set so that each day I can start it without touching the accelerator or pulling the choke. I'm using the 68-12127 distributor with the flat top coil. Although this set up was designed for aluminum heads...it works very well with the Ford cast iron heads. I mention this information because I feel that this set up enables easier starting. This car is driven almost daily down here in Florida.
Thomas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2254