Topic: 1939 Engine Missfire Problem

v8NUT    -- 11-30-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  I have a nearly original 1939 Convertible Sedan. I have only had it a year or so and am still learning some of its bad habits. On Memorial Day I drove it in a local parade with a Pearl Harbor survivor as a passenger. His name is Frank and he was on the battleship Arizona and swam off. How about that!

The parade lasted about 45 minutes in cool weather and I was driving very very slowly and the car seemed to be running fine. After I took him back to his family, I headed for home but on acceleration I had a very severe missfire. I assumed it would clear up once I got going faster but it didn't. In fact, it died on the freeway and I had to have the auto club tow it home. The next day I replaced the spark plugs which didn't look bad and it started and ran fine instantly when I hit the starter button. I am wondering if the coil overheated or if was was vapor lock. I don't know whether to replace the coil with a new reproduction or maybe rebuild the fuel pump. Again it was not a hot day. Any suggestions? Jim

supereal    -- 11-30-2010 @ 10:24 AM
  From your description, it sounds like a classic coil failure. 99.9% of old Ford coils are weak, and will fail completely when heated. The best remedy is to send your coil to Skip Haney for a rebuild with modern components. For details, you can e-mail him at this address: skip@fordsrus.com This is preferable to buying a repro coil, as many are of inferior quality.

ford38v8    -- 11-30-2010 @ 10:16 PM
  Jim, you have excellent advice from bob. A rebuilt coil is your answer.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 12-01-2010 @ 5:07 AM
  yes it could be the coil, but before replacing the coil try replacing the ignition condenser, when it goes bad it will give the same symptoms. I suggest going to NAPA to get the replacement.

TomO    -- 12-01-2010 @ 7:39 AM
  Before sending off your coil or rebuilding the fuel pump, do a little diagnosis to save your self some aggravation.

I agree that most old coils will fail when hot and if it hasn't been rebuilt, it should be. Old paper condensers, usually fail the first time when they are hot, but once they break down, they will continue to fail.

First, I would check the spark at idle. It should be at least 1/4 inch long when a plug wire is held near a head nut. It should also be blue in color and make a snapping sound. Use a screwdriver with a plastic handle to hold the wire.

If the spark is good when first started, your condenser is probably OK. If the spark makes a sizzle sound, try replacing the condenser. If the spark is weak or orange in color, send the coil to be rebuilt.

If the spark is good when the engine is cool, bring it up to operating temperatures and re-check it.

Tom

v8NUT    -- 12-01-2010 @ 5:42 PM
  Supereal: I tried to email skip@fordsrus.com and the email bounced. Do you have any other ideas about how to contact him? Thanks, Jim

Kens 36    -- 12-01-2010 @ 6:06 PM
  Jim,

You can call Skip at 941-637-6698 (day) or 941-505-9085 (night).

Ken

supereal    -- 12-02-2010 @ 9:26 AM
  Jim: That is the URL I have used. We have been getting some e-mail returned this week because of the "cyber Monday" traffic on the web.

v8NUT    -- 12-02-2010 @ 5:26 PM
  Actually, my email server said my email bounced but it really didn't. Skip responded so I plan to send him my coil. Thanks again to all for the help. Jim

39 Ken    -- 12-03-2010 @ 3:56 AM
  Since you're relatively new with this car, it would be advisable to do some preventative maintenance on it. Send your distributor to Skip as well as the coil and have him go over it. Money will be well spent. Any questions as to what he does, call him and discuss it with him. JMO

supereal    -- 12-03-2010 @ 1:43 PM
  A commonly overlooked cause of misfiring when the engine is hot is improper valve clearance. When the valves heat up, they expand and close the clearance. If the valve then doesn't seat firmly, the heat transfer to the cylinder head is incomplete, adding to the problem, eventually burning the valve. After hydraulic lifters became common. less attention was paid to valve clearance. Now, we are seeing a return to mechanical lifters in many vehicles to raise efficiency, and the problem is back. We just got a service bulletin at our shop on this subject.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2252