Topic: 39 trico vacuum replacement

parrish    -- 11-29-2010 @ 7:54 AM
  Instead of rebuilding the original, is there a easy electric (6 volt) conversion?

Old Henry    -- 11-29-2010 @ 8:50 AM
  Here's one: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-electric-windshield-wiper-motor-6-volt-replacement-type-stainless-steel-a17508e6/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1129687/

BUT, I finally figured out after driving my car with vacuum wipers for many years why Ford didn't run the wipers with an electric motor. It's the GENERATOR. The old 6 volt generators would not likely keep up with the electric wipers in addition to headlights, spotlight, radio, and heater fan at any kind of low RPMs. For that reason, and nostalgia, I took apart my vacuum motor and lubricated the paddle chamber with LubriCam and it works fine.

Is anyone using electric wiper motors with 6 volt generator and headlights, spotlight, radio, and heater fan?

Old Henry

(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 11-29-10 @ 9:06 AM

supereal    -- 11-29-2010 @ 11:30 AM
  If you know the current draw of any component, you can calculate the wattage by multiplying the current by the voltage. Thus, a motor with a 15 amp current draw would require 90 watts. A 40 amp generator, when engaged, puts out about 240 watts at six volts (40X6), so you have to confine the total load to the maximum produced by the generator, or the battery will have to make up the difference. Unless you can locate a high output generator, the best solution is to convert to a six volt alternator. I did this with my '47 so I could add halogen headlights, as I didn't want to do the other alternative of going to a 12 volt system.

dwj39    -- 11-29-2010 @ 1:07 PM
  I've owned my 39 Deluxe coupe since Jan.1965. Over the years I've added an original 6V Philco radio, 39 Ford heater, aftermarket turn signals, 3rd brakelight, and halogen headlights & taillights. Both the original 6V generator and regulator have been professionally rebuilt. I drive the car day/night all year (except if there is snow) and have never had a problem with the electrical system keeping up with the draw except at idle. I seriously doubt that the addition of electric wipers would make any difference. I'd be much more concerned with the quality of the electric motor and how to install it. Behind the headliner is not an easy, simple place to get to if the motor fails.

parrish    -- 11-29-2010 @ 7:05 PM
  thanks, everyone. I'll keep looking for an easy wiper conversion as the MACS offering doesn't look promising. I agree about the headliner as I'm about to install a new one. With only have so much profanity at my disposal, the wiper issue need a fairly permanent solution. The alternator swap sounds like a good investment and should offer some capacity dividends...

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-01-2010 @ 5:11 PM
  ever consider using a 6 Volt VOLKSWAGEN wiper motor out of a bug.? they are pretty hardy units,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 12-02-2010 @ 9:32 AM
  You can increase the vacuum wiper action by incorporating a vacuum reservoir between the manifold and the wiper using a "T" in the line. You need a check valve between the reservoir and the manifold to prevent draining the thing on heavy pulls. I have used a cheap one designed for use as a check valve in hot tubs to protect the ozone generator. A big fruit juice can makes a good reservoir. Just solder a nipple into the top of the sealed can. Ford actually used them back in the 50's for that purpose on some trucks with vacuum shifted axles.

parrish    -- 12-13-2010 @ 8:42 PM
  I've noticed some rebuild kits for the original housing...is it a fairly straightforward job? Any gotchas?

Old Henry    -- 12-13-2010 @ 9:23 PM
  I've rebuilt a couple. Didn't even have kits. Made my own seals. Seemed pretty straight forward. What took some trial and error and finally research to get the answer, was the right lubricant for the paddle chamber. It has to be thick enough to help seal but liquid enough to slide well. My research suggested a light silicone lubrication. I used LubriCam, after trying other thicker and thinner and it worked great. http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-distributor-cam-lube-made-with-silicone-7-8-ounce-a12210l/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1113307/

Old Henry

parrish    -- 12-29-2010 @ 11:27 AM
  Henry: how about gaskets? are the old one generally useable? what parts normally need to be replaced? I'm not touching the motor until I figure out if it's worth trying to save the $100 bucks for someone else to fiddle with it...The rebuild kits on the market are for replacement montors not originals.

trjford8    -- 12-29-2010 @ 8:02 PM
  Check this wiper conversion; www.pacificwesterndesign.com.

Old Henry    -- 12-29-2010 @ 9:46 PM
  parrish, I kept the same gasket between the top and bottom. The seal I had to fabricate was the round one that covered the vacuum port that parked the paddle. I just cut a piece out of a rubber inner tube and put it in. The seal around the edge of the paddle in the ones I worked on didn't need replaced. I also kept the little gasket under the cover for the occilating valve. Really, the biggest thing I did was just lubricate the paddle chambers with LubriCam and that helped more than anything else. The thing seems complicated but it's really quite simple once you take the top off and see how it works. Do be careful with that little thin gasket under the top, particulary as it goes under the "axle" that the paddle turns on and note how they fit in so you can put them back on when you put it back together. Also, pay real close attention to how the occilating valve goes together if you take it apart to clean it. It's a real puzzle to get back together if you don't.

After writing this I found the series of photos of a guy reconditioning his that shows it all step by step. Check that out. It's all there. Second post after this.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-29-10 @ 10:48 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-29-2010 @ 10:04 PM
  Here's a great thread on the HAMB about rebulding/reconditioning vacuum motors that has some great ideas I hadn't thought of: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373932

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-29-2010 @ 10:13 PM
  Here's a guy's pictures of the same wiper motors I've reconditioned: http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss39/sparky52/trico%20cleaning/

Old Henry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2246