Topic: 38 Stromberg 97

jccorbin    -- 11-25-2010 @ 3:17 PM
  In my quest to resolve ongoing performance issues I have recently discovered that the Stromberg 97 on my '38 has significant damage to the fuel tube in the left venturi (appears to have been mashed flat aginst the side of the venturi). As I have found no way to replace this tube I am looking for a replacement carb and came across "the new "Genuine Stromberg 97" for $449. Does this sound like a reasonable way to go?.....Thanks.....Jerry

Stroker    -- 11-25-2010 @ 3:37 PM
  jcorbin:

If you have a deep pocket, I've heard that the British 97 "clone" is a very nice piece of hardware.
Usable Stromberg cores are out there, and that is another option. Sending your carb to a good re-builder such as Vintage Speed is a 3rd option, although they may jab you a little for the damage.

Being a 38, you could opt to switch to a Chandler-Groves 94, and still be "correct". I'm not sure of the price, but Edelbrock is making new 94's that are hopefully cheaper than $450. In any case, I suspect there are more used 94's out there than there are 97's.

40 Coupe    -- 11-26-2010 @ 5:13 AM
  the curved tube and the straight tube can be replaced, I would suggest you get in touch with Max Musgrove (Utah), he should be able to repair and rebuild, or just repair. If your carb is the original style for your car this will keep the originality, and you will save $.

Old Henry    -- 11-26-2010 @ 7:20 AM
  Here are 100 Stomberg 97's and parts for sale on ebay: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=stromberg+97+carburetor&_sacat=&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_odkw=97+carburetor&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Still Old Henry

carguy    -- 11-26-2010 @ 1:17 PM
  I just recently had my '97 rebuilt by Max Musgrove, madmax1946@comcast.net and I couldn't be more pleased. He does excellent work. He also sells the new British '97 (to quote Max it is "perfect - A piece of jewelry") and is also the warranty repair guy for them.

ole_Bill    -- 11-26-2010 @ 4:50 PM
  Does anyone have experience with the 9super7 from Speedway? At $299 they seem like a bargain. Also, anyone tried the new Edelbrock 94?

large logo    -- 11-27-2010 @ 5:33 PM
  Jerry - Those little curved candycane discharge jets can be replaced, along with new collars. I sometimes have to use my best dentist skills when extracting them, and then a special grooved punch for staking the collars.
This procedure runs about $15 per side. Much less than a root canal, or a new carb...
~ Max

jccorbin    -- 11-27-2010 @ 8:38 PM
  Thanks Max. The curved ones seem OK, it's the straight main brass jet tube that is damaged and although I'm not sure just what symptoms this would cause I am quite sure it would not make it run better. I think I will send it to be repaired while she is in storage for the winter......Jerry

large logo    -- 11-29-2010 @ 7:28 AM
  Hmmm, Must be the emulsion tubes you're referring to.
They need to be removed and cleaned & undamaged in order for the fuel to atomize properly. The chambers surrounding them are a catch-all for deposits and calcification. The highspeed airbleeds in the minor venturis should be checked as well.

supereal    -- 11-29-2010 @ 7:46 AM
  The 97 was a good carb in its day, and we used them on the track because we could change the jets easily, and often needed the extra clearance they provided for multi carb installations. The switch to the later style provides a less temperamental unit, and would make a better all around carb for most applications.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2235