Topic: Dating our 42 and image we want to create

wrosenkrans    -- 11-25-2010 @ 7:58 AM
  While waiting to do some mechanical work, I did some research to try and more accurately date our 1942 SD Tudor. The transmission/frame number is 186884283 - assuming a constant rate of production, that puts the likely production date at around Dec. 29, 1941. The window bugs also carry the K/DA code consistent with a Dec. manufacturing date. The car has all the standard production items and none of the strategic material substitutes. It also has white walls which are doubtless later replacements, but apparently could have been put on from dealer stocks (anybody know where I could find the metal tire stem caps?).

That could put this car among the last produced during the regular manufacturing run which ended Dec. 31, 1941. It would also have likely been one of the cars embargoed from dealer stock at that point and reserved for war effort distribution, i.e. to American Red Cross, Doctors, Nurses, etc.

We like to create an image with each of our classic vehicles and its quite possible our car could have been allocated for use as an ARC Motor Corps vehicle.
We do some WWII re-enacting and my daughter has an original, named, 1942 American Red Cross Motor Corps uniform and topcoat (beautiful piece). While keeping the car itself totally original, we've added both front and rear Motor Corps medallions (license plate toppers), and reproduction 1942 PA registration, "C" ration, and 1942 Tax Stamp stickers from www.inspectionsticker.net (we apply the stickers to clear static cling steets). My wife has an original, named, 1942 ARC Clubmobile uniform which will make a nice display with the Motor Corps materials.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

nelsb01    -- 11-25-2010 @ 8:04 AM
  While you are probably close in your dating, you need to remember that glass 'bugs' are most likely one month earlier than the actual production of the vehicle. Glass had to be on hand when the vehicle was assembled, so if your glass is dated Dec 1941, you most likely have a January production vehicle.

wrosenkrans    -- 11-25-2010 @ 8:27 AM
  Actually, I've just realized that K would be for November, not December, my bad. Consistent then with a late Dec. production date.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

BrianCT    -- 11-26-2010 @ 5:59 PM
  The original tax stamps are not much money on ebay.

42wagon    -- 11-27-2010 @ 4:12 AM
  Wayne & Barb
If you have or can borrow a copy of Lorin Sorensen's book Famous Ford Woodies it has a picture of a 42 wagon assigned to the San Francisco Red Cross.

This car happens to be a Deluxe not a super Deluxe so it has a painted grille, no stripes on the wheels and probably the six cylinder engine. What it does have that you might be interested in are large red crosses in white circles about the size of the head lights mounted below them. It has some sort of light on the left front fender covered by a piece of cloth. On the front doors are large red crosses. At the top of the cross it says Motor Corps and below the cross it says San Francisco Chapter. On the cowl below the chrome strip (no mirror) is the vehicle number in this case 44. This number also appears in the lower left corner of the windshield. There are no ration stamps on the windshield.

Interestingly my Super Deluxe 42 wagon had some sort of light or siren mounted on the top of the left front fender. It was long gone and the holes brazed shut. No sign of any other painted markings or extra holes. Based on the window bugs and serial number my car is probably a late December car.
Ted

wrosenkrans    -- 11-27-2010 @ 2:23 PM
  42wagon - thanks for the picture reference which we'll look for. We've seen a couple pictures of 42 wagons being used by the ARC Motor Corps, none with the elaborate markings you describe though. Is the car in your picture OD?

Apparently, the Motor Corps vehicles were a mix of OD painted cars from the special run Ford did for the services, and regular civilian vehicles with the medallions. We had our Model A Town Sedan with the medallions at a show this summer and an older woman came by who had been a Motor Corps driver. She remembered using her Dad's Chevy, but also remembered some groups had the OD wagons.

Attached is a picture of us at the Battleship New Jersey for VJ day this summer, my daughter's in the Motor Corps uniform, and wife in the Club Mobile uniform. I just look like a politician...

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

42wagon    -- 11-28-2010 @ 5:45 AM
  Wayne & Barb
The picture in Famous Ford Woodies (page 141 BTW) is of a line of cars in what appears to be the Red Cross garage. Of those that can be identified two are 40s, one is a 41, and this is the only 42. None of the cars are OD. They would appear to be a dark color, black or blue probably. The chrome is not blacked out on any of them and the wood is varnished on them as well. However the roofs have been painted in what appears to be body color.

I just realized that I misspoke yesterday. These cars are equipped with left side mirrors. Only they are big painted truck mirrors mounted below the chrome trim.

Nice Model A. I also have on a 31 Deluxe Roadster.
Ted

wrosenkrans    -- 11-28-2010 @ 11:58 AM
  Pic of our 42 with the Motor Corps medallion in place.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2233