Topic: 1935 Ford horns

tgt4446    -- 11-24-2010 @ 2:18 PM
  I installed 2 new horns on my 1935 ford with a converted 12 volt system. When I connect a hot wire, they continuously blow. The horn button (the ground )appears to move, so I assume that it is not stuck. Any suggestions?

Stroker    -- 11-24-2010 @ 3:24 PM
  Unless you have installed a high-compression, late model V8 in your car and all its' associated needs, there are not a lot of good reasons to convert to 12 volts. Given the wire sizes on early Fords, which were designed for 6 volts, the voltage is best left at 6. Having said that, I suspect that you may have welded the contacts closed on your relay.

We all face the dilemma of how to install modern stuff in our vintage 6V Fords. Likewise I have been pondering this, since I want to drive my 38 and enjoy such amenities as my radar/lidar, CD player, cel, etc. I will opt for a good 6V system with an Optima or equivalent battery, and keep my original Ford accessories living on 6V.

tgt4446    -- 11-24-2010 @ 4:03 PM
  I don't have a relay...

Stroker    -- 11-24-2010 @ 4:11 PM
  If you don't have a relay, then I would "guess" (and not being there, it is a "guess") that you have welded the contacts in your horn button. The button will cycle due to the return spring, but if the contacts are fused, it will continuously be connected. Horns draw a lot of amps, and I believe that most Fords had horn relays, just as they did for headlights. Fellow EV8 contributors, I need help here, as well as tgt4446.

drkbp    -- 11-24-2010 @ 4:36 PM
  tgt4446,

If you are wired original, the horns are fed off the battery side of the starter switch under the floor. The horn wire goes back to the switch housing at the base of the steering column. Pressing the horn button grounds the circuit and the horn sounds.

There is no relay or fuse. If it blows, it is either grounded at the horn itself, the wiring going back to the light switch housing or horn button rod. Mine is a deluxe with two horns and I usually can only keep one going. I am going to have another go at it this week.

Stroker is correct, they draw a lot of amps so I am going to fuse them.

Do you have the wiring diagram? I can't do without it. Maybe someone can post one.

Hope this helps,

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-24-2010 @ 4:42 PM
  assuming the car is a original and not modified,,.
Check the bottom of the steering column, and see if it is grounded there,
it might be grounded in the tube that the ground wire travels threw,
did you check the wire coming back from the horns,
is the wiring new,? if so where did you buy it,?
you might have to rewire the tube, to make the horns,blow,
you will have to remove the tube from the column.
seems to me that you have a ground some place,
12 volts in my book is a no no, creates TOO many other problems,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,

drkbp    -- 11-25-2010 @ 3:10 PM
  tgt4446,

I will try to post the diagram. It may help you if it loads. If it doesn't I will try to learn how to do it.

Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2229