Topic: need help with a vin #

jr4726    -- 11-21-2010 @ 4:00 PM
  recently acquired another ford truck to restore and i just uncovered the vin off the frame rail it is I7854II and the numbers off the engine are 8ba 18301 and the number on the bell housing is h1281.. iam thinking this a 47 ford truck but i would to find out some specifics if anyone can help..

Stroker    -- 11-21-2010 @ 4:16 PM
  Jr:

There are no "Vehicle Identification Numbers" per se for early Fords. Frame numbers should match the transmission numbers, but if the transmission has been changed out, only the frame number is unique to the vehicle. Body numbers, also have no significance, except to identify approximately when the body was made. Your 8BA engine number would indicate that you have a 49-53 engine. A photo of the truck might help in identifying the year, but 41-48 trucks had essentially the same sheet metal, unless it is a pickup or sedan delivery truck, wherein the 41's shared metal with the 40 standard passenger cars.

What does your title say?

jr4726    -- 11-21-2010 @ 4:26 PM
  i do not have a title with this. iam restoring another truck and iam taking the cab off of this one to put on the one iam restoring and i just wanted to get some info on these numbers so i can part this chassis out when iam done restoring my truck

51f1    -- 11-21-2010 @ 5:20 PM
  An 8BA engine is a '49-'51 car engine (designated EAB in '52-'53) which was essentially identical to '48-'53 8RT truck engines. 8BA/EAB/8RT engines don't have any ID numbers on them. Any numbers you have found are probably casting numbers or numbers added by a rebuilder. When the new engines were shipped to the assembly plant, they had a "patent data plate" temporarily attached to them. This plate had the engine number on it. At the assembly plant, the truck model code, the engine code, the year and the assembly plant code was stamped on the plate. The plate was installed on the firewall when the truck was assembled.

There are sometimes (but not always) numbers stamped on the cowl that can help identify when and where the truck was assembled (this is not the serial number). If you post these numbers, someone can interpret them for you.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2214