Topic: CARB FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

mech-for-cars    -- 11-21-2010 @ 11:10 AM
  NEED SIMPLE ACURRATE WAY TO SET FLOAT LEVEL ON V8 FLATHEAD 94 CARB. PICTURES IF POSSIBLE WOULD ALSO HELP. THANKS

supereal    -- 11-21-2010 @ 2:50 PM
  Here is a float setting gauge that I made from a tin oil can when I was a Ford mechanic in the 50's. I have included that actual measurements. It is a simple tool. Just place the base on the body of the carb while it is upside down and bend the float tab until the float just touches the gauge.

Old Henry    -- 11-21-2010 @ 5:16 PM
  Here are the instructions with diagram.
I just cut a gauge out of card stock inverted U shaped so it touched the carb body on both sides of the float.

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 11-21-10 @ 6:11 PM

mech-for-cars    -- 11-22-2010 @ 5:22 PM
  HI, SUPEREAL, THANKS FOR THE GAUGE DRAWING,LOOKS GREAT,CAN YOU PLEASE SHOW A DRAWING ON HOW I PLACE YOUR NEAT LITTLE FLOAT GAUGE ON THE CARB & FLOAT? THAT WAY I KNOW IM DOING IT RIGHT. THANKS AGAIN

This message was edited by mech-for-cars on 11-22-10 @ 5:29 PM

supereal    -- 11-23-2010 @ 10:57 AM
  No trick to it. Place the base of the gauge on the flat surface of the carb "horn" when you have it upside down on the bench. The "leg' of the gauge then extends out over the top of the float. The tab that pushes on the float needle is bent up or down so the float just touches the gauge. To make the tab adjustment you can pull out the float hinge pin to make access easier. The gauge was copied from one that was owned by an old pro mechanic I worked with many, many years ago.

Old Henry    -- 11-24-2010 @ 7:37 AM
  Mech-for-cars, Supereal's gauge is the same as pictured in the diagram I posted. Look at the diagram and use Supereal's gauge as pictured there. Here's the diagram again.

Still Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 11-24-2010 @ 9:28 AM
  Here is a picture of my two-legged inverted U gauge I just cut out of card stock with the two critical measurements marked on it illustrating how it's used to set the float. The correct float level is given in Ford specs as decimal inches: 1.322-1.353 inches. 1 3/8 inches is just a hair beyong that range. 1 5/16 is right in that range. I like the two legged gauge because you don't have to worry about any "rocking" of the foot of the one legged one.

Still Old Henry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2211