Topic: Transmission Oil Leaks

fatfender    -- 10-29-2009 @ 2:59 PM
  I have a 46-48 trans sitting on my floor (not level). Can I assume that if it is leaking from one end or the other (where the shafts/bearings are), that this is normal and it wouldn't leak if installed and level? If a trans is installed, not over-filled, and leaks, is it fair to assume that it's probably from around the shifter shafts? Any other common leakage areas? Is it even possible not to get a quarter-sized puddle evertime I drive it? I have my engine (59A) and trans out and would like to do everything I can to minimze leaks.
Thanks

ford38v8    -- 10-29-2009 @ 4:15 PM
  Fatfender, side shifters can easily leak at the gasket. Put on a new gasket
and use Red Permatex both on the gasket and on the threads of the
bolts.

Also use Red Permatex on the differential bolt threads, but not needed on
the gaskets. The rear of the tranny will leak down the torque tube, which
is OK, just check the level of both, to be no higher than the side plug.

Parking on a hill will likely leak down, as you said. If a Ford doesn't leak,
you forgot to put oil in it.

Alan

supereal    -- 10-30-2009 @ 6:46 AM
  It is not unusual for side shifters to leak around the seals on the side plate. The seals (#7288) are available for about $5 each. Be sure that the shafts are not badly worn. These seals are fragile and easily torn, so be sure to protect them as you insert the fork shafts. Remove any burrs that were raised by the shift lever pins, and lube the shafts prior to insertion. Vaseline makes a good lube. We wrap paper around the shafts for further protection, and withdraw it after the fork shaft is in place. Early Ford transmission leaks are common, and using heavier, 140 grade oil, will help slow it down, but don't expect it to stop all seepage.

TomO    -- 10-30-2009 @ 7:30 AM
  Fatfender,

As long as you have the transmission out, I would replace both the front and rear seals (P/N 78-7052),both shifter fork seals(01A-7288) and all gaskets. Make sure that themain drive gear bearing oil baffle (B-7040) is facing the correct direction as shown in the parts catalog.

I also put a small amount of non hardening gasket sealer in the holes of the case where the counter shaft and reverse gear shaft exit the case. Wipe off any excess on the inside of the case.

Keep the universal full of grease and you should not have a puddle from the transmission every time that you drive your car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=221