Topic: '33-'41 distributor differences

sccars49    -- 11-21-2010 @ 8:43 AM
  What is/are easiest visual way(s) to tell one from another?
Thanks.

supereal    -- 11-21-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  Ford used the basic 11A-12127 distributor housing from 32-41, going to the "pancake" style in '42. The difference is mainly in the coil type used, beginning with the "tall" coil in '32 which mounts with two screws, going to the "dome top" sometime in '36 with three screws. Then 2 screw mounting, with the "four rivet" type for '37-'41. Examine the number of coil mounting screws to help determine the model. When the coil type changed, so did the rotor. Many distributor-coil assemblies were swapped over the years, so it isn't unusual to find a "wrong" set.

sccars49    -- 11-21-2010 @ 10:57 AM
  Thanks for reply. If anyone else can add more info, I'd appreciate it also, but this helps a lot.
Thanks again.

Stroker    -- 11-21-2010 @ 1:50 PM
  Well, super pretty much covered it, but I will add that if you have a 37, 38 or 39 standard car,
you should avoid the earlier 36 "beehive" distributor, as it has inadequate fan clearance at the coil.

drkbp    -- 11-21-2010 @ 5:00 PM
  sscars49,

There are two ways.

Three Screw Coils:
The early distributors: '33 to early '36 use 3 screw beehive/biscuit coils. Next, you can tell which year you have by looking at where the cam engages the distributor. There will be a number stamped on the distributor next to the distributor keyway. "40A" is '33, "40B" (sometimes marked "34") is '34 through early '36.

Two Screw Coils:
Late '36 is numbered "68" and uses the flat top coil.
Two screw flat top coils go on a 68 type and has two screws on a diagonal. It is not real common as it was used only late in the '36 model year. It will fit on the earlier engines.
The '37 - '41 has the tall two screw coil and the holes are on the left and right looking from the front, type 78.

If you don't see the number where I have described, it could be stamped on the governor weights that are inside the distributor. All of the ones I have are stamped on the outside of the distributor shaft.

The different types had to do with what compression ratio and heads, iron or aluminum.

Which one you got?

I hope this helps,
Ken in Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2209