Topic: wiper motor

pbc64    -- 11-20-2010 @ 11:47 AM
  h*llo just purchaced a wiper motor n.o.s can anyone advise me what kind of lube oil or grease thanks paul

Old Henry    -- 11-20-2010 @ 1:24 PM
  It's best to use a light silicone lubrication. I used LubriCam from Mac's and it works great. http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-distributor-cam-lube-made-with-silicone-7-8-ounce-a12210l/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1113307/

Still Old Henry

supereal    -- 11-20-2010 @ 2:53 PM
  It it electric or vacuum?

pbc64    -- 11-20-2010 @ 4:27 PM
  thank you its a vacume motor paul

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2010 @ 7:16 PM
  Paul, I wasn't aware that any NOS motors were still available, but would assume that the leather paddle is hard as a rock from all these years.

If you cannot soften it up to work for you, you may want to send it to Kent Jaquith, who rebuilds vacuum motors with neoprene paddles that never need lubrication.

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding

Kent is a V8er of good reputation.

Alan

Robert/Texas    -- 11-21-2010 @ 5:09 AM
  I bought a NOS Trico wiper motor for my '34 roadster about 12 years or so ago. It worked fine right out of the box for 2 or 3 years and then would make 1 swipe to the left and park itself. I sprayed some WD40 into the vacuum intake and it started working again. It's still working like new.

pbc64    -- 11-21-2010 @ 7:17 AM
  yes sometimes people on ebay will have them available with the original trico box if i lube the paddle should work fine if i locate a rebuilding kit i can rebuild my spare motor myself paul

carguy    -- 11-21-2010 @ 7:55 AM
  I agree that Kent Jaquith is the wiper expert and I had Kent rebuild the wiper for my '34 cabriolet but, although I'm getting aqt least 17" of vacuum at the motor, it still refuses to budge. I'd love to find a new motor but in the meanwhile I'd appreciate suggestions of things to try with mine. My plan B is to use RainX.

pbc64    -- 11-21-2010 @ 8:29 AM
  carguy yes you need 17-21 vac and your at the limit maybe carboned valves or valve adjustment but even at 17 they should still move a little maybe the paddle is seized i noticed the older wiper motors for your car are pricy maybe an electric motor? paul

Old Henry    -- 11-21-2010 @ 8:42 AM
  CarGuy, here are a couple of ideas:
Try running the vacuum motor without the wipers attached to see if the motor will run at all. If not, it may need more work inside. I finally got mine going by lubing inside with LubriCam.
If the motor will go without the wipers but not with them attached, I wonder if you are using the stock wiper blades or trying to run something longer. I know on mine, my vacuum motor will run the stock length blades but nothing longer.
You might also put a T in the vacuum line to the motor and put the vacuum gauge on that to see what is really going to the motor. Manifold vacuum measurement that's not in line with the vacuum motor may be much higher indicating some kind of leak in the vacuum motor.

My 2 cents.

Still Old Henry

supereal    -- 11-21-2010 @ 10:32 AM
  The condition of the wiper motor housing, and the clearance to the "paddle" is critical, as is the composition of the paddle seal. There are old stock rebuild kits out there but, like much old stock, the seals, etc, may have deteriorated from age. C&G will rebuild your wiper motor, too, for about $130. That is less than an electric replacement. 800/266-0470.

TomO    -- 11-22-2010 @ 7:57 AM
  Carguy, before you use any lubricant in your motor rebuilt by Kent, contact him and explain your problem to him. Petroleum based lubricants can harm some neoprene compounds and turn them unto a sticky mess.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 11-24-2010 @ 7:56 AM
  car guy: the 34 Cabriolet has a vacuum regulator to adjust the speed of the motor to desired. These can go bad, and are not rebuildable. there is a small hole on the rear of the regulator see if the engine vacuum is leaking from that hole by turning on the engine and wipers and covering the hole with your finger. try turning the regulator control from one extreme to the other (no force necessary) and finally bypass the regulator with the vacuum hose by loosening the set screw on the regulator that holds the regulator to the brass tube between the regulator and the motor, be very careful not to loose the small set screw it is short as well as small in diameter. Then remove the regulator and connect the vacuum hose directly to the motor.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2205